silver........... titainium......... silicon............5
boron............178
sodium.............2
potassium........ molybdenum.......118
phosphorus......1315
zinc............1550
calcium.........3813
barium........... magnesium.........23
antimony......... vanadium.......... fuel% vol......... t/s% vol......... water% vol....... vis cs 100`c....10.8

i did not change at time of sample, this is my first run of 10w-30 and wanted to see if i could run to 7,500mi. as i have done with the plus 50 15w-40. i am impressed to say the least with the performance of the 10w-30 CI-4, my local dealer has around 150 cases, so after this sample i went over and lightened up their stock a little @ $11 a gallon.
according to deere specs this oil new is 11.7 vis, so it appears to have sheared a little, but still well within 30w spec

Last edited:
My expierence with JD in 6.0 is it shears very quickly compared to delvac, delo, and rotella. Still not a bad sample though.

after seeing the numbers i thought it held up pretty good, my winter drining consists of less than 5 mi. trips, in nothern ohio winters.
other than the towing miles everything is very short trips, never warming up to operating temp

Nice so far! Wear is very decent, especially with a little towing thrown in.

One thing to note about the "shearing". I've said this many times, but it bears repeating.

PSDs do shear oil. They shear 15w-40 down to a 30 grade fairly quickly. But what they do NOT do is shear down a 30 grade much at all. Look over what few PSD UOAs exist with 10w-30 and you'll see that the 30 grades stay in grade quite well. My neighbor has run 10w-30 dino Rotella in his 6.0L PSD with great UOA results. My theory is that the HEUI system simply prefers a thinner grade oil. If you feed it 10w-30, it will be happy. If you feed it 15w-40, it will go about making a 30 grade for you! Check some of the UOAs and you'll see I'm right!

There is no fear of running a 30 grade in a PSD. The wear results are every bit as good as I've seen with heavier grades. The 30 grade might shear a tiny bit, but it likely will stay in grade overall.

I think you'll find that the JD 10w-30 is a very nice product, especially at $11/gallon! Wish I could get into that!

Last edited:
Looks good. This is what I have been running for the past 2 oil changes: Rotella T5 10w30, and my 6.0 PSD seems to love it...better performance, slightly better fuel economy...cant beat it for $16/gallon...

I've not tried the T5; presumably it's lineage between the Rotella and (former) RTS = T6 should make it a great package.

OTOH, there are other semi-syns out there that might bear fruit as well. Mystik has their JT-8 in 10w-30 semi; I've seen it routinely at my local farm supply store for $12.50/gallon. Now THAT is a bargin! I've been tempted to try it, but when I can get other HDEO dino oils so darn cheap (quality brands like Delvac, Rotella, Tection Extra), and I only OCI once per year for less than 7k miles, I have no need for anything but the least expensive HDEO I can purchase. I'm a bargin shopper at my core. I seek out value. Any product that meets my needs, and is the "low cost bidder" is typically what I get. Rest assured, I do not risk my expensive diesel engine on junk oil; it's just that I seek out sales on products that meet the OEM specs.

Given that the OP found his JD 10w-30 HDEO for $11/gallon, that is a good price on a very good oil, and his UOA shows that it's working well for him.

Last edited:
wow, great #s for the short winter temp trips,
thanks for sharing,
I like it as an alternate to syn in winter,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back