2008 VW Jetta 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Significant other has a Jetta and I am going to take over the oil changes if it isn't an ordeal. I was hoping someone who is a VW fan could help me out with a couple of questions that have.

1- I know VWs are picky about the oil specs, what synthetic is VW approved that I can pick up at Autozone?

2- Is there anything special about the filter? If it is a cartridge, does it take a special wrench?

3- Do I need a scantool to reset the OLM or is there a procedure that can be performed without it?

Many thanks in advance!

1) Use VW 502.00 approved oil. I use Mobil 1 0w-40.

2) On my friend's 07 GTI, I used a 36mm socket. But I've heard that the filter cartridge for a 2.0T is slightly different than one for a 2.5. And I don't know how the 2.5's cartridge is, but if it is anything like the 2.0T, it is very difficult to get off and the plastic housing is VERY thin and feels like it will shear off while you are attempting to break loose the cap.

3) No, the reset can be done without a scan tool, but you cannot change between the 5k and 10k intervals without VAG-COM.

The 2.5L does have a cartridge filter that takes a 36mm socket. I've never found them to be difficult to get off, myself; they just unscrew!

The proper oil for these cars is VW 502 rated. There are at least two very good oils that meet that requirement at my Autozone, M1 0w40 and GC. They probably also have the Syntec 5w40. Personally I run the M1 in both my 2003 Jetta VR6 and my wife's 2008 Rabbit 2.5L.

I've never looked into resetting the service reminder without the VAG-COM because I have a VAG-COM, but I imagine there is a way; Googling with "site:vwvortex.com" would probably find an answer to the question.

robert

Last edited:
1) 502 is the manual's spec, but we are running M1 5w-30 ESP which is 504/507 rated. UOA will determine if this is OK, else we can revert to a host of oils. GC is available at autozone and has 502, likely M1 0w-40 holds that spec as well. Should be on the bottle.

2) There is nothing special about the filter setup. There is a drain spout on the cannister housing to allow you to drain it before removing (I dont know why they set up the cartridge filter in such a ridiculous place - vertically laid out cartridges accessible from the top are much better and more convenient IMO). I have a tool that screws in and allows directed draining of the oil out to wherever I want. makes it clean and Im not forcing something with a screwdriver to operate it. To remove the filter, I use an oil filter wrench, but don't recall which one. The cartridge housing is fairly sturdy and it goes off easily enough. I generally just hand-tighten it back.

3) I believe you hold the 0.0 button when switching on, then hit the min button within 30 seconds. It is in your manual - read it cover to cover!

Perfect, thanks for all of the input guys. The 36mm socket sounds huge! I don't have anything that big in my tool box so I'll have to take a peek under the hood this weekend.

wow lots of great info! I feel a lot more comfortable tackling this now. If it was my car, I wouldn't sweat it...but I want to avoid the I told you so!

ok, so I just did the oil change on this tonight, and I could figure out how the drain on the filter worked. I tried pushing in on the orange nipple, but didn't want to break it so I ended up just unscrewing the housing.

How much force does that drain need to be pushed in?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
ok, so I just did the oil change on this tonight, and I could figure out how the drain on the filter worked. I tried pushing in on the orange nipple, but didn't want to break it so I ended up just unscrewing the housing.

Did you use a tool to press it? There is a special tool that is sold to do this, but most don't use it. I'm not sure it is necessary to push that button, it just makes it neater. Like I said, I'm not sure though. Did you play around with it when you took it off?

It's not a lot of force to press it I don't believe. One thing for the next time, you have to reset the nipple after depressing it.

Here's a different link. It's from a Golf I believe, but similar and better pictures.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9103

I've never changed the oil on my Jetta. One of these times I'd like to, just not able to do it where I live.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

It shouldn't need much. I just use a Phillips screwdriver to push it in and over to the side to hold it open. Not much force involved at all!

robert

Last edited:
I put a pretty decent level of force on it both before and after I removed it. I was afraid to break it and didn't have a spare so I wasn't going to risk pushing it too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back