Snap-On Modis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have an older Snap-On Modis scan tool/lab scope?
The reason I ask is mine needs updating. But the problem is mine is the first verison with current software only covering up to 2002. I believe two more versions of the Modis have been released since mine was built with lots of software upgrades every year since for each new model year ofcourse. This is the spare scanner that I mostly use as a lab scope. So I am on a search for a update for the scanner that someone may have that will add maybe 2 or more years, maybe up to even 2006. Any info or ideas that will not cost 2 arms and a leg like the Snap-On man wants to charge me for? He wants to sell me the current model Modis. What I really want is one of the updates I missed when my machine was still being updated not replaced with the newer model. Did I miss the boat? Do I have to buy a new Modis or is mine still some what updateable?

Call Snap-on diagnostics support, they should be able to tell you what you need to do. By the way, if you have a good Snap-on guy, they used to have an amnesty day during the year when Snap-on would let you update older tools for a VERY reduced cost.

They would rather do that than have you by another machine from the "enemy". Good luck....

I was looking into a Modis untill I found out how much it costs to update the thing. According to the Snap On guy if you miss a year you must purchase that year as well as the currant one if you wish to update it.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
Have u looked at a Pegysis or used Genysis from OTC/Mac/Matco?
The owner of my old shop loves his Pegysis and said the updates are alot cheaper than the Modis

I've had a bit of experience using the OTC Genesis, but i have also used a Modis a couple of times as well, and let me tell you.. The Modis is light years faster than the Genesis.

I could use a modis and replace an egr pressure sensor on a ford 4.6 in the time it takes the OTC to tell you there is an EGR fault code.

Last edited:
Well,

I swapped my Solus Pro for a Modis a few weeks ago and I really like the new options that I have available with the 4 channel scope that is merged with it. It's fast, accurate and easy to diagnose a problems with it.

Like matt922 indicated, I can backstab a sensor on the lab scope and hook in to the computer with the scanner, display them on the screen and see where the fault is. It eliminates a lot of guesswork for a tech but you do need to learn how it works to get the most from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back