Military Vehicles OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what the Military uses for OCI's and the kind of oils they specify for HumVees and other heavy equipment like that.

Google doesn't come up with much for me.

Thanks.

Its periodic for the smaller equipment and by analysis for the larger or higher value components ie Jet engines etc.

Dated but still valid.
Quote:
How the AOAP Works

Currently, the Army has enrolled 1,751 individual ground system components in the AOAP. Oil and filters in these components are changed only when recommended by an AOAP laboratory. Oil samples are evaluated in one of the AOAP's 5 laboratories located outside of the continental United States (OCONUS) or in one of its 19 CONUS labs. Oil analysis diagnoses the physical condition of the lubricant, such as its viscosity, fuel dilution, or water content, and the condition of the engine, transmission, and hydraulic systems from which the sample is taken. The analysis can determine problems such as contamination, faulty air-induction systems, leaking cooling systems, loose fuel-return lines, and abnormal wear rates of moving metal parts.

Aircraft carriers have their own lab for oil and fuel analysis. They test samples for everyone in the AOR.

http://www.amc.army.mil/pa/pubs/AMC-R11-47.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
15w40 folks.

I just got an email from a former NCO of mine...had to ask him as I don't have a -10 Tech Manual near me at my current job.

There is a computer that contains all sorts of information on each unit's vehicle fleet. The computer gets the mileage info updated when each vehicle is dispatched and when it comes back in. The computer then prints out a report (usually on Maintenance Mondays) on when an oil sample needs to be taken from a specific vehicle. A report similar to something Blackstone Labs would create is then sent back to the unit advising to either keep the oil in the vehicle or time for an OC.

Quote:
How the AOAP Works

Currently, the Army has enrolled 1,751 individual ground system components in the AOAP. Oil and filters in these components are changed only when recommended by an AOAP laboratory. Oil samples are evaluated in one of the AOAP's 5 laboratories located outside of the continental United States (OCONUS) or in one of its 19 CONUS labs. Oil analysis diagnoses the physical condition of the lubricant, such as its viscosity, fuel dilution, or water content, and the condition of the engine, transmission, and hydraulic systems from which the sample is taken. The analysis can determine problems such as contamination, faulty air-induction systems, leaking cooling systems, loose fuel-return lines, and abnormal wear rates of moving metal parts.

Exactly.

considering humvee motors are identical in most regards as the GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesel motor (not the isuzu one, but the one from 82-99), Im going to say they can run on almost anything they want to, but my guess would be 15w40. As for service interval... Im not certain what the capacity of the oil system is.

I'm Military and we use any 15W-40. We don't have OCI, we just submit an oil sample every so often and if it comes back oil needs to be changed we change it. Hope this helps.

The turbine engines don't get oil changes unless oil analysis indicates contamination. Same for Helicopter transmissions/ hydraulic systems. We had servicing equipment that filtered the fluids before they went in, even though it was new oil. That changed when they came out with a diffrent oil for the transmissions. THey realized how much all the additional servicing units were going to cost, and decided gearbox oil didn't need to be filtered. Hydraulic systems are usualy checked by a "patch" test. Pull a sample, cut it with solvent, suck it through a membrane, and compare to a sample card (shades of grey)

Safety-Kleen holds many contracts with the military and provides much of the re-refined oil in bulk for them.

Because I asked where Eco-Power went in bottles and he told me it wasn't moving enough so they sell to shops in bulk but most goes to the military.

That's interesting there is no OCI for military vehicles. I was a RADAR ET in the Navy, and I had to change the oil in my SPS-40 antenna every 3 months, even if it didn't make one revolution during that time. Doing an oil change up on a mast is a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back