Lucas Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a qt. of 80w-90 Lucas gear oil that was given to me by a friend cleaning out his shop, foil seal intact, just so happens thats what my car uses and as it's due for change thought i would purchase another to have enough, was wanting to know if it's any good, anyone used it, only Lucas product i've used is fuel injector cleaner.

It's the gear additive that climbs lol.. the engine oil i've heard/seen causes oil foam... total junk the other products fuel cleaner and gear oils.. in my opinion arent too bad... tho for about the same price Chevron Delo branded? gear oil is the best non-synthetic gear oil i've seen many ads in trucking magazines about how near synthetic performance it is.... i would use amsoil or mobil for syn. just my opinion since u only change it every 100K miles or so least for me the 8$-14 isnt a big issue since it stays in sooo long..

I was going to ask the same thing the other day but I searched and found a lot of iffy info on Lucas. I know their oil stabilizer is somewhat controversial but I wasn't sure about their gear oils. I pretty much decided there are better, more surefire options out there but in your case, its free so what the heck. I look forward to hearing what others have to say because again, I have never used the stuff.

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
It's the gear additive that climbs lol.. the engine oil i've heard/seen causes oil foam... total junk the other products fuel cleaner and gear oils.. in my opinion arent too bad... tho for about the same price Chevron Delo branded? gear oil is the best non-synthetic gear oil i've seen many ads in trucking magazines about how near synthetic performance it is.... i would use amsoil or mobil for syn. just my opinion since u only change it every 100K miles or so least for me the 8$-14 isnt a big issue since it stays in sooo long..

Ads are hard to believe

Good point about only changing every 100k miles i'm a little overdue at 104 i may not risk unfamilar territory and go with the sure thing'i've used RP and know it's good may just stick with it thanks for the info.

We use the Lucas gear oil in track car rear diff's in the BMW's. No friction modifier. Wears clutches a little faster I'm sure, but when you're running used diff's, the added friction really helps, especially on the autox course. Mine's been like this for the last 2+ years, doesn't chatter, and definitely has more lockup than stock. To date, we haven't noticed enough additional wear to warrant tearing one down to replace the clutches.

Last edited:
I use it in my old John Deere garden tractor transaxles. They have a tendency to whine and be noisy due to their straight cut gears.
It is tackier than other gear oils I have seen and seems to quiet them down more than any other oil I have tried. It really seems to cling to the gears, I am impressed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back