What year Saturn Vue used the Honda V6 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it has the 3.5 liter engine and the old body style it will be the honda engine. They also used what ever 5 speed Honda used in there mini vans or cross overs. If I remember right.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
As long as it has the 3.5 liter engine and the old body style it will be the honda engine. They also used what ever 5 speed Honda used in there mini vans or cross overs. If I remember right.

"The L81 V6 from the L-Series and 5-speed Aisin AF33 automatic transmission were initially offered, but starting in 2004, all 6-cylinder Vues were equipped with Honda's 250 hp (186 kW) J35A3 engine and a Honda transmission."

The Honda 3.5 liter V6 was used in the 2004 through 2007 model year VUEs.

The 10th digit of the VIN is the model year. 4 = 2004, 5 = 2005, 6 = 2006, and 7 = 2007.

They are a pretty decent vehicle IMO. The 3.5 really scoots and gets similar MPG highway as my 2.2/M5 VUE.

The torque converters do occasionally have shudder problems though. I've heard before that more frquent than reccomended ATF changes and changing the 3rd and 4th speed pressure switches preventatively may help avoid a converter problem though.

The Honda 3.5L uses a timing belt. Much of the erratic behavior in the trans can be reduced by dumping the Z1 ATF and going with an aftermarket ATF like Valvoline Maxlife or the likes. Even lugging around a 4500lb minivan, these engines have a ridiculous amount of power IMO.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
The Honda 3.5L uses a timing belt. Much of the erratic behavior in the trans can be reduced by dumping the Z1 ATF and going with an aftermarket ATF like Valvoline Maxlife or the likes. Even lugging around a 4500lb minivan, these engines have a ridiculous amount of power IMO.

Joel

Timing belt, and a proper 105,000 mile timing belt service will cost you about $1200.

You'll need to adjust the valves, replace the timing belt, replace the timing belt hydraulic tensioner, water pump, drive belt, coolant and spark plugs. It's about 5 hours labor for the timing belt and almost three hours to adjust the valves.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Joel

Timing belt, and a proper 105,000 mile timing belt service will cost you about $1200.

You'll need to adjust the valves, replace the timing belt, replace the timing belt hydraulic tensioner, water pump, drive belt, coolant and spark plugs. It's about 5 hours labor for the timing belt and almost three hours to adjust the valves.

HOLY S....1200 dollars for that? I have never spent that much for any repair except for the 383 Stroker I put in my Corvette. Get a dang 3.4 Equinox, same dang thing. GM 3.4 with updated intake and Asini 5 speed. No belt. I have 65,000 on mine and have had to do brakes and oil changes.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

HOLY S....1200 dollars for that?

The bill will run up that high if you let the dealer totally have their way with you. Critic would insist on a full muffler bearing lubrication procedure and halogen fluid flush left to his own devices.
28.gif

Joel

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Honda engines were used in the 'Red Line' level Vue IIRC.
2004-2007.

Not entirely correct. The Honda V-6 was used in all vehicles that had a V-6 engine in the Vue during that time period. I had a 2004 with a 3.5L and it was one of the smoothest riding engine/transmission combos I ever driven. But the rest of the car....is the reason why we got rid of it.

Last edited:

The bill will run up that high if you let the dealer totally have their way with you. Critic would insist on a full muffler bearing lubrication procedure and halogen fluid flush left to his own devices.
28.gif

Joel

That is pretty funny!
25.gif

28.gif

Joel

crackmeup2.gif

Labor rates are about $120/hr here at both dealers and at good independent shops. You do the math: 8 hours of labor already sets you back $960. Few hundred in parts, if not more, and you're easily at $1200.

But hey, are you implying that I should be called Captain Overkill in my maintenance?
wink.gif

The math sounds right to me.

After dealing with one very annoying Honda, we now have a household moratorium on purchasing cars with timing belts--unless they're really easy to change and the engine is a noninterference design.

3 hours for valve adjustment on Honda? That is ridiculous! When I did my very first valve adjustment on 4-cyl Prelude, it took *me* less than an hour to complete that job and I did not have the right tool (Honda valve adjustment tool) which a good mechanic must have. It only had total 12valves vs 24valves for 3.5V6 but even then book rate can NOT be 3 hours for valve adjustment. Out of 24, only handful would need adjustment. The rest of would be within the spec.

- Vikas

Last edited:
8 hours for the entire job. The valve adjustment portion should be quick. It took something like 20 minutes on the 4-cyl I did. No special tools for that particular engine.

You really don't have to lump in a valve adjustment and spark plug change at the time of a T-belt changeout. The plugs and cam covers do not need to come off for this procedure unless you mess of the cam sprocket alignment in the process and have to see the cams. Spark plugs are right up top and easily accessible on the 3.5L, even in cab forward minivan format.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back