Valvoline Synpower 5w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Blackstone's TBN is right in line with what Valvoline reported on their data sheet-- 8.3.

As 21Rouge and MoparDak05 pointed out, VOAs like this one are becoming increasingly common due to the use of organic additives that don't read as metals. Just because you can't see the additives, it doesn't mean they aren't there. VOAs are most useful as a reference for UOAs, where the wear metals and physical properties will reveal the performance of the oil relative to the mileage, engine, and driving conditions.

If you will go to the pcmo section, look up new sheriff in town, check the data of Shell Formula or Mobil 5000 and tell me why anyone in their right mind would buy Synpower ever. So much for syn being a much better oil than dino. Not even close An add pack you would find in a store brand dino selling for $ 1.75 per qt. Sad if you ask me, but then again they might be sqeezed like everyone else profit wise. Everyone except Mobil 5000, Shell Formula or Havoline which by the way has a web site that you cannot access, new formula on the way??
34.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
If you will go to the pcmo section, look up new sheriff in town, check the data of Shell Formula or Mobil 5000 and tell me why anyone in their right mind would buy Synpower ever.

Because it performs well. I agree those two dino oils are a good value. But I'd put money down that in harsh conditions, Synpower would outperform Shell Formula and Mobil 5000. There are many ingredients in todays motor oils that don't show up in elemental analyses. Here is a VOA of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP that meets two of the toughest passenger car gas and diesel engine oil specifications in existence, VW 504/507, and it looks like there's hardly anything in it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1620062#Post1620062

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Wow, Blackstone's TBN is right in line with what Valvoline reported on their data sheet-- 8.3.

If anyone's wondering. I sent the sample to Blackstone labeled as "Virgin oil".

If you will go to the pcmo section, look up new sheriff in town, check the data of Shell Formula or Mobil 5000 and tell me why anyone in their right mind would buy Synpower ever. So much for syn being a much better oil than dino. Not even close An add pack you would find in a store brand dino selling for $ 1.75 per qt. Sad if you ask me, but then again they might be sqeezed like everyone else profit wise. Everyone except Mobil 5000, Shell Formula or Havoline which by the way has a web site that you cannot access, new formula on the way??
34.gif

According to two different labs, this "watered down" Valvoline walked all over Mobil 1 in camshaft wear tests. Perhaps the high iron with M1 can be explained.

All I know is, look at any of the SynPower UOA's on this board and you will see it is amazing stuff. Some of the best UOA's I've ever seen in fact. Granted, it's not a super long drain oil, but in most U.S. cars, we aren't designed for that anyhow. I think this is a case where they are obviously using a lot of organic additives because the UOA's don't lie, this is good stuff!

Some of the dino add packs in thread new sheriff in town, look better than this. Why is this oil even considered at times is beyond me. I will bet Walmart oil is almost the same in the SYN flavor.
33.gif

Some of the dino add packs in thread new sheriff in town, look better than this. Why is this oil even considered at times is beyond me. I will bet Walmart oil is almost the same in the SYN flavor.
33.gif

Someone who is on BITOG should know better. Additive pack does not tell the whole story. You can't see everything in the oil through these. All you have to do is look at the UOAs for it. Synpower beat Mobil 1 in the official wear tests by quite a bit if I recall.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1759481&page=1

The wear was extremely low. And it becomes very, VERY impressive when you consider that it was over a 7600 mile period, with 5% fuel dilution, which would normall result in a big increase in wear. Not so here. I for one, would be very glad to run this in my car.

33.gif

the results speak for itself.......
check out the amsoil comparison test, synpower is in it.

Would the sodium level be about the same in the 5w-20 viscosity? Also, after using Synpower 5-20 for 10,000 miles and 2 changes, would a sodium level of 62 on a UOA after 3000 miles after switching to Redline 5-20 be explainable on the basis of the previous use of Synpower?

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Would the sodium level be about the same in the 5w-20 viscosity? Also, after using Synpower 5-20 for 10,000 miles and 2 changes, would a sodium level of 62 on a UOA after 3000 miles after switching to Redline 5-20 be explainable on the basis of the previous use of Synpower?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I certainly hope there is more to this oil than the VOA can show, because I'm not all that impressed.

Doesn't matter if you are, UOA's show good results most of the time with this oil. (I'm not going to search and post any) but even valvo premium conventional shows good UOA's even in cars that are known to be hard on oil. The VOA is something similar (low numbers across the board)

Synpower is $35 a jug here. WM trots out the dino Premium now & then for $11 a jug (great buy when they do). I know VOAs don't tell the whole story, but at least with the pricing where I am, I'd be pretty hard pressed based on this to buy it over Premium.

Not knocking Synpower or Valvoline (I like both their Premium and MaxLife products). I guess the local pricing just makes Synpower a tougher sell for me personally.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back