Kendall's New Moto Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does look like a regular ole car oil but I'm sure it will do the job...Makes you feel a little more comfortable about going up to the store and just grabbing some castrol GTX (or similar brand) off the shelf...

Its probably more sheer stable than a PCMO and it wont have any sort of friction modifiers that could mess with a wet clutch, but its far from impressive. I bought some CI4 plus Mystik 15w40 for 2.69 a quart to use in my Yamaha.

If I am going to run a Kendall oil in my car it will be the 20w50 PCMO that they recommended to me before coming out with this oil. It has about 1100-1200ppm of zinc atleast.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
It does look like a regular ole car oil but I'm sure it will do the job...Makes you feel a little more comfortable about going up to the store and just grabbing some castrol GTX (or similar brand) off the shelf...

Well I was about to say bull but after I looked at the link you're right. About a Castrol GTX. 800 ppm ZDDP in a grade 50 MC oil?? The GT-1 I beleive is better on paper anyway. That is not impressive at all. I thought they would have done much better than that.

I bet its because some newer bikes have catalytic converters...but Id rather replace an exhaust component than the motor. I have sent the CP people to ask why the amounts are so low.

I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say. Some will say that ZDDP is not all that important given the other additives available but if nothing else for marketing's sake I would have put a "better looking" additive package together for this oil. Going to be hard to put a dent in the cycle oil market with this stuff. May not even be worth printing the labels. About 5 years ago there was a analysis on Kendall GT-1 that was about 1100 ppm ZDDP. Maybe the (SM) GT-1 isn't so great anymore either.

I have a case of the Brad Penn MC oil in the basement. When ARG bought the site they did some upgrades and started marketing more to niche users. The Kendall name was sold to Conoco Phillips and is now a different product all together but CP has some great products and I expected more from them in this Kendall MC oil. Would have been nice to have aonther over the counter option.

The Brad Penn MC oil is Grp III with a very good additve package. Bought by the case it is about $4 - $4.50 per Qt.

Looks like the GT-1 dino, now with liquid Ti, is still a stout product. 1100 ppm ZDDP and the right marketing words to make you want to use it. So why would the MC oil be weak?

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/documents/kendall/automotive_engine_oils/Ken%20GT-1%20High%20Performance%20MO%20(Ti)%20TDS%20Web.pdf

Well I am still waiting on a response. I wonder if they just cant figure out how to answer it. All I asked is why the zinc levels are so low compared to other moto oils, and if they are substituting another additive for wear prevention and is so what is it and how much are they using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back