06 5.9l Cummins/Schaeffer 900 5w-40 25836miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the results of the Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 in my 06 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins. The oil fill went in Oct. 4. It surpassed heavy hauling, cold starts with no block heater, extensive slow idle, etc. The filter used was Fleetguard LF16035 with no filter change and only 1 qt of make up oil. Total hours on run time was 687. Only LSD (50ppm sulfer) diesel was used. Engine total miles are at 141638

Air filter is a Quad cold air intake. Mods include Bullydog Tripple Dog with Crazy Larry that the truck is used on everyday.

Testing through John Deere.

All data not included is zero.

Al 6
Chr.3
Iron 31
Copper 4
Tin 2
Moly 281
Niclel 2
Born 9
Silicon 9
Calicum 1156
Mag. 778
Phosphrous 91
Zinc 1135
TBN 2.14

cst @210F 14.32
Flashpoint 4.31
fuel .97
Fuel soot 2.38%

Last edited:
Excellent report
thumbsup2.gif

Soot is getting on the edge of what I would consider acceptable, but not unexpected for the duration and your modifications. The phosphorous PPM and flashpoint looks like a typo?

Excellent report all things considered
thumbsup2.gif

That .97 fuel, was that comparable to stock fueling when you weren't using a programmer?
Did you take the fuel sample engine fully warm?
Nice for a "modified" Cummins.

I have never ran this truck bone stock. When I traded in my 05 to the 06, we removed a Quad race box from the old truck and installed in on the 06 right in the dealership's service department
31.gif
. With the addition of the current programming, modified crankshaft sensors, and high boost levels, the engine gets hammered pretty good. I have never seen fuel over 1% thus far with this engine. This is even with the cold starts and the lack of intake grid heater being installed.

Oil sample was taken hot after a 116 mile round trip and pulled mid-way of the drain.

The oil for a CJ-4 held the TBN greatly considering not running ULSD fuel.

Yeah, it looks like you're at your limit with running the LSD (500ppm)...but reality is, 25k miles on LSD with CJ4 is truly exceptional! Wow.
1 quart of makeup? Nice... I have that little minute seep at the rear of my oil pan (like many Cummins), so it's hard to figure if the oil I go through is from that or usage. Heck, I've know guys who own 07's with that little leak.
Sounds like you got a good one.
thumbsup2.gif

You had lead at 0ppm? Seems odd to me when so many (myself included) saw a spike in lead.

Not saying its wrong, just odd...

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Yeah, it looks like you're at your limit with running the LSD (500ppm)...but reality is, 25k miles on LSD with CJ4 is truly exceptional! Wow.
1 quart of makeup? Nice... I have that little minute seep at the rear of my oil pan (like many Cummins), so it's hard to figure if the oil I go through is from that or usage. Heck, I've know guys who own 07's with that little leak.
Sounds like you got a good one.
thumbsup2.gif

My wifes Superduty has a slight rear main seal leak as well is that a good sign?
banana2.gif

Not such a great thing especially when you have to remove either the engine or the transmission (as I'm sure you're aware)
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deeter16317
You had lead at 0ppm? Seems odd to me when so many (myself included) saw a spike in lead.

Not saying its wrong, just odd...

If the Schaeffer formulation was the cause for the lead you would see across the board and that's not the case.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic

If the Schaeffer formulation was the cause for the lead you would see across the board and that's not the case.

Just search the last few threads about Schaeffers...almost all saw an increase in lead...including mine, and my driving habits did not change from Rotella to Schaeffers. And further, the typical "explaination" in those threads is chelation of the bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back