96 7.3L PowerStroke Rotella 3K high lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-96 Ford F-250, 7.3L PowerStroke, ~130K total miles
-No winter usage
-95% highway useage
-50% towing usage (typical 24' 8K lb box trailer)
-Wal-Mart TC3 outboard 2-stroke oil added to fuel (to improve fuel lubricity for injectors).

First sample is "old" pre-2007 emissions 15W40 Rotella. Second sample is "new" 15W40 Rotella.

Truck is in great shape, starts and runs great, but I have only owned it the last 3 years and ~25K miles.

Any thoughts on the UOA? I was contemplating ponying up for 15 qts of synthetic to try for the next report.

Oil Report Posted Here

Last edited:
I wouldn't pony up just yet. Run another interval and don't use the TCW-3. I think you'll find an inprovement.

Run an iterval with powerservice or another commercial additive instaed of the 2 cycle

Last edited:
Yeah I dont think it's a bearing. Tin usually shows up further into wear. For 136k I would be awefully suprised if a bearing is the issue.

Was it a tow rig before you got it? I have seen many powerstroke that don't get " worked " then begin to get worked go through an addition break in especially on the bearings.

Run dino, it is plenty good enough and do another uoa. Sometimes not being used does things to the uoa readings.

The previous owner used it to drag a travel trailer to Florida and back every winter, but I don't know much more than that.

The supplemental coolant additive was non-existent when I got it, but it had also undergone an H20 pump replacement on his last trip to FLA ... (*Shrug*)

I have a 97 and change oil every 3000 miles and had the exact same level of lead a couple changes back, then it gradually improved so I wouldn't worry.

Those lead levels are typical of engines not used for a couple of months with old oil in them. I fight this regularly with farmers who store their tractors or harvesters for a few months.
Little corrosion spots in the bearings are able to grow without the oil circulation and heat.

I recommend changing the oil before storing, drive once to get up to temp and circulating completely, and store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back