Auto-RX vs. Marvel Misery Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing some reading about engine treatment to clean up sludge from high mileage engine, found quite a few people praised about using Marvel Misery Oil in the gas tank and crank, but can you put Marvel Misery oil in the automatic transmission and power steering for some cleaning action like the Auto-RX as well? These Misery oil is dirt cheap in comparison to Auto-RX, I can get a gallon for about $15 from local store, so does it work just as good or the same as the Auto-RX?

Yeah, it has been rehashed over and over. The short story is Auto-RX is a proven product with quantified results. Auto-RX won't fix mechanical issues and it won't clean anything that is clean. MMO has been reported clean well but evidence of such has yet to be shown.

MMO is completely safe to use in the crank and the gas. One warning, what evidence has been presented in the form of UOAs with MMO in the oil shows MMO to be not harmful but it does appear to reduce TBN retention in the oil which leads to a shorter OCI.

As for ATF and PS, I dont think MMO recommends it for use in those applications. It might be due to those fluids having a higher TAN value as opposed to oil? I don't know. MMO has some forums you could ask on if you want an answer from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:
The presence of chlorinated materials in MMO means that during combustion, hydrochoric acid is produced. This is no doubt why TBN decreases more rapidly. Even in the oil, the MMO components volatilize and get pulled back through the PCV system into the combustion chambers.

This HCl production is one of the key reasons pilots using leaded gas in plane engines love MMO. Add it to the fuel and the HCl scavenges lead from the combustion areas that the dibromoethane scavenger added to leaded gas does not remove.

Last edited:
You can actually use MMO in the power steering system if it is an ATF fluid uses in the PS. On my Xterra I replaced a few ounces with MMO to do cleaning and eliminate a squeel I was having(its gone). I just need to drain and fill again with ATF. I had the MMO in there for about 2k miles with no issues.

MMO: widely available about $4 questionable effectiveness

ARX: mail order only about $30 + shipping + the cost of 2or 3 OCI's Apparent cleaning abilities

I would try both, judge for yourself. Some people say ARX has cleaned for them, there's also pics around that show it doing nothing.

For me personally, MMO did a better job of cleaning in my old Corolla(via the fill hole). I ran two ARX treatments w/ Dino oil and MMO for the end of three OCI's.

As someone else said, the MMO doesn't have many pics out. I believe FalconLS just posted some pics in the photo section w/ him using MMO. It showed some good cleaning, Falcon's had multiple ARX treatments also.

I know people say oil color doesn't mean much, but I took a pic of my oil after I added MMO for the last 1700 miles of an OCI. Judging by the cleaning up of the valvetrain, I think oil color was indicative of cleaning. It was the second time I had used it as well.

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

Since MMO is readily available and cheap, try it first in your cleaning applications.
I don't think anyone hates Auto Rx, but the availability and price are definite concerns.

Originally Posted By: ben805
I have been doing some reading about engine treatment to clean up sludge from high mileage engine, found quite a few people praised about using Marvel Misery Oil in the gas tank and crank, but can you put Marvel Misery oil in the automatic transmission and power steering for some cleaning action like the Auto-RX as well? These Misery oil is dirt cheap in comparison to Auto-RX, I can get a gallon for about $15 from local store, so does it work just as good or the same as the Auto-RX?

Having used both products, I give the two thumbs up to????? Rather than start another war, search the oil additive section it has been discussed in great length. After reading you will be able to make an informed decision, or get more confused. LOL

PM me if you like, I will be happy to discuss my observations and opinions.

AutoRX in the sump, MMO in the tank (occasionally) is my philosophy. Nothing scientific to back it up, except the car is a little peppier with MMO, and the AutoRX did a nice job cleaning some sludge from the uppers in my Cherokee. Haven't found any downside to this combo so far, so that's what I use personally.

Originally Posted By: ben805
Ok, what can the MMO do that the ARX can't, and vice verse?

In a nutshell:

MMO can cost a lot less, it is available practically anywhere, it is made of petroleum and natural oils and it can boast that it has been in successful, trouble free use for longer than many people have been alive. It doesn't, however, feature a legion of zombies.

ARX can cost many times more than any other additive, is sold only by mail, and is made from distilled sheep. It has not been in use very long, but it is backed by a legion of zombies. It is also filled with the Mysterious Tao of AutoRX.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
It has not been in use very long, but it is backed by a legion of zombies.

Ah! The proverbial Zombie Legionnaires!
02.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back