Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 vs Mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try ultra, and then get a UOA. I'd probably get some myself if I didn't already have some Valvoline Maxlife blend 5W-30 lined up for the next oil change.

I'm running 5-20 ultra right now in our 07 5.4 and couldn't be happier. I should be ready for a UOA in a couple weeks

fsskier, who post here uses M1 0-20 with very good results. Several engines with 200-300K, with very long OCIs.

I use the M1 5-20EP in both Fords. Good results with that.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I'm torn between the 2 for my next oil change in my Jeep. Please offer suggestions to help me make up my mind.

Thanks!

M1 0W-20 is clearly a superior oil to the PU 5W-20 in every regard; there's no contest. PU's VI of 158 is unacceptably low for a synthetic oil.
If you want an alternative to M1, consider the new Castrol Edge. Even their 5W-20 has a higher VI at 175 to MI at 171 and CE's 0W-20 blows them away at 220.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I'm torn between the 2 for my next oil change in my Jeep. Please offer suggestions to help me make up my mind.

Thanks!

M1 0W-20 is clearly a superior oil to the PU 5W-20 in every regard; there's no contest. PU's VI of 158 is unacceptably low for a synthetic oil.
If you want an alternative to M1, consider the new Castrol Edge. Even their 5W-20 has a higher VI at 175 to MI at 171 and CE's 0W-20 blows them away at 220.

You're basing superiority on one thing, VI?

Originally Posted By: buster

Thanks!

Seriously! You keep doing this over and over. "Unnacceptably low", how so?

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Thanks!

Seems 5W-20 and OW-20 (!) Oils are good for Loooong mileage Engines, or rather High Mileage? Why so?

Redline 5w20 is widely regarded as the most robust 5w20 on the market. Has an HT/HS of 3.3. A noack of 8. And a viscosity index of a whopping 145. By your standards it must be a pooey oil.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000

Redline 5w20 is widely regarded as the most robust 5w20 on the market. Has an HT/HS of 3.3. A noack of 8. And a viscosity index of a whopping 145. By your standards it must be a pooey oil.

You can check out my opinion in detail on RL's 5W-20 grade in the recent VOA posting.
But basically it is a 30wt oil in all but name and it's hard to imagine any 20wt application for which this old formulation is suitable. RL's own 0W-30 is a more modern and clearly superior formulation that is actually lighter at all start-up temps as high as 90F and is equally shear resistant.

Thanks!

He just hates Ultra and it mad that people want to try something new, so he makes a comment on how it supposedly sucks in every thread where Ultra is mentioned.
18.gif

You can check out my opinion in detail on RL's 5W-20 grade in the recent VOA posting.
But basically it is a 30wt oil in all but name and it's hard to imagine any 20wt application for which this old formulation is suitable. RL's own 0W-30 is a more modern and clearly superior formulation that is actually lighter at all start-up temps as high as 90F and is equally shear resistant.

All of what you said is fine, however you didn't directly address my statement. Your classification of the 5w20 variant is irrelevant, please explain how you decipher quality oils from the viscosity index.

Redline 0w20 = 166
Redline 5w20 = 145
Redline 0w30 = 183
Redline 5w30 = 162
Redline 10w30 = 142
Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 = 158
Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 = 169
Pennzoil Ultra 10w30 = 156

Are you to say all these oils minus the 0w30 are not good oils due to their "subpar" viscosity indexes? By your standards, the Ultra line is superior to every equivalent grade Redline oil.
coffee2.gif

PS - No I'm not a Redline pimp, just using an oil everyone can agree is very highly regarded for comparison & to make a point.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Not only that, PU's volatility is ridiculously high for a synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Thanks!

Living in Phoenix I can appreciate why an oil's VI may not be particularly important to you and in applications where an engine spends 90% or more of it's life with it's oil temps at 100C plus I grant you it is not. But in most applications it's the opposite situation particularly in temperate climates.

The main reason for going with a 20wt oil is a lower start-up and warming-up viscosity with the multitude of benefits that that entails. Current 5W-20 dino's do a very good job in that regard with a 40C vis spec in the 46-48 cSt range and a VI typically in the 150's. If one is going to upgrading to a synthetic greater performance is expected and one of the "traditional" benefits is a lower start-up viscosity. With PU vertually no benefit is acheived in that regard.

In the OP's part of the country, M1's lower 40C spec and resulting higher VI are clearly advantageous. It's PAO formulation vs the GPIII of PU is an additional bonus.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000

All of what you said is fine, however you didn't directly address my statement. Your classification of the 5w20 variant is irrelevant, please explain how you decipher quality oils from the viscosity index.

Redline 0w20 = 166
Redline 5w20 = 145
Redline 0w30 = 183
Redline 5w30 = 162
Redline 10w30 = 142
Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 = 158
Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 = 169
Pennzoil Ultra 10w30 = 156

Are you to say all these oils minus the 0w30 are not good oils due to their "subpar" viscosity indexes? By your standards, the Ultra line is superior to every equivalent grade Redline oil.
coffee2.gif

PS - No I'm not a Redline pimp, just using an oil everyone can agree is very highly regarded for comparison & to make a point.

Any multi-grade synthetic with a VI less than 160 is clearly "subpar" as you put it, and better choices are available.
BTW, the two 10W-30 grades you've mentioned are redundant and are not worth buying as their 5W-30 counterparts are the same price and can outperform in every application. It's a "marketing grade" targeted at consumers that don't know any better.

After lots of thought, I decided to try Mobil 1 0w30 in the Jeep. My next debate will be betwee M1 5w30, 0w30, or PU 5w30 for the Solstice. I've got M1 5w30 in there now, but it won't be due for a change probably until mid to late summer.

I might try the Ultra in the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back