New bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm casually in the market for a new road bike and am looking for ideas or suggestions.

I'm 6' tall about 160 lbs. I'm a casual but competitive rider, typically no more than 100-200 miles per week, usually on rides between 30 and 60 miles.

My budget is somewhere between $1500 and $2500 when the time comes. The problem I've been having is that personally, I find a lot of the new road bikes to be quite ugly. I'm not keen on the excessively curved tubing.

Ideally I'd like a 10-spd bike with a double crankset, straight tubes, compact frame, minimum of 105-level shifters and comparable derailleurs and cranks.

What are some good suggestions?

what are you riding now?
you do know that bikes aren't classified by how many 'speeds' they have right? 9 and 10 gear clusters are the norm now (with a double chainring, it's 18-20 potential combinations, you see where it gets to be cumbersome descriptions).
Surly has a nice road bike called the pacer. any bike shop can get it for you, if they aren't already a Surly dealer. 4130 chromoly steel, nice tradtional road bike geometry, and a real steel fork (most road bikes now come w/ a carbon fork; I don't like them).
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer_complete/

Originally Posted By: mpvue
what are you riding now?
you do know that bikes aren't classified by how many 'speeds' they have right? 9 and 10 gear clusters are the norm now (with a double chainring, it's 18-20 potential combinations, you see where it gets to be cumbersome descriptions).
Surly has a nice road bike called the pacer. any bike shop can get it for you, if they aren't already a Surly dealer. 4130 chromoly steel, nice tradtional road bike geometry, and a real steel fork (most road bikes now come w/ a carbon fork; I don't like them).
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer_complete/

Yes, sorry, my description wasn't perhaps as specific as it could have been. What I meant was that I'd like my next bike to have a 10 spd cassette in the back and a double chainring in the front (as opposed to a 9 spd cassette and/or a triple chainring in the front).

The Surly looks like a nice bike but I'm not keen on the traditional frames, I prefer the look and ride of the compact road frames. I'd also like to avoid bikes without carbon forks, though I don't mind chromo frames, provided they meet my criteria.

EDIT: My current bike is a 2001 Giant OCR 2 which is mostly Tiagra group components. I'd be fine with that level component if it was the same as it was. But, when I was looking last year I noticed that now the Tiagra level shifters are not the dual-action, that is, the upshift is now separate from the brake lever... not interested in that as the shifters alone are worth any premium in the bikes cost.

Last edited:
kind of hard to avoid carbon forks, which is why I showed you the Surly. you can take a look at http://salsacycles.com/bikes/ they have compact frames, and a variety of frame materials.
I know what you mean by the 'look'; I worked in bicycle shops for 15 years, and what passes for bikes nowadays leaves me saying 'huh?'

Originally Posted By: bepperb
200 miles a week is casual?

To be fair I'm kind of zero to hero with road biking. I'll ride extensively on the road for the spring season and sporadically throughout the summer.

Mostly though I stick to mountain biking for the summer and fall which is lower mileage.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Are you buying in a retail location or online? Do you do your own mechanical work?

I'm open to either possibility, and yes, I do all my own work.

Cannondale CAAD9 series?

I am a Cannondale fan. One of the local shops near me carries them. Great bikes, great service from the mothership C'Dale themselves. I have no had to warranty through them, but i know people who have, and are 100% satisfied.

I bought my Motobecane on Ebay in 2005. I have seen other nice bikes online.

2009 Fuji CCR-2 Carbon Endurance Road Bike I see this at performance bike online. Regular price $2500 now $1500 Can't vouch for how good it is.

Now through spring I would think would be a good time to get a good price.

Last edited:
Right now I am liking the look of this frame.

jamiseclipse-lrg.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
Right now I am liking the look of this frame.

jamiseclipse-lrg.jpg

That IS clean looking, without being a too radically sloping compact geometry.

The livery almost looks like a Van Dessel.

What is it?? (I cannot zoom that pic.)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

What is it?? (I cannot zoom that pic.)

Jamis Eclipse. I'm not normally a big Jamis guy but a few of my buddies over the years have used Jamis MTB's with no problems.

Full Ultegra 10-spd group with a decent carbon FSA crankset. I like the geometry too. Site says 17 lbs, not sure for what size.

I was once weary of the bikesdirect bikes but after riding a grand sprint I'm sold. Can't beat the price for what you get. Mine came fully assembled just had to give it a once over.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Well, I'm casually in the market for a new road bike and am looking for ideas or suggestions.

I'm 6' tall about 160 lbs. I'm a casual but competitive rider, typically no more than 100-200 miles per week, usually on rides between 30 and 60 miles.

My budget is somewhere between $1500 and $2500 when the time comes. The problem I've been having is that personally, I find a lot of the new road bikes to be quite ugly. I'm not keen on the excessively curved tubing.

Ideally I'd like a 10-spd bike with a double crankset, straight tubes, compact frame, minimum of 105-level shifters and comparable derailleurs and cranks.

What are some good suggestions?

Luckily your minimum price will already put you into the Shimano 105 category, with 10-speed cassette, 105 front/rear derailleur & lever.

Unfortunately the bike I have on order won't float your boat, Specialized Secteur Elite.

The more I spend time looking, the more I think I want an Ultegra level bike. 105 ain't cuttin it for me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back