addictives to remove carbon build-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, is there any addictives out there that will remove carbon build-up on the pistons?

I realize that once I am done with tuning my engine, everything fines for a couple of months, then knocking starts to occur even when octane level is the same, so I am pretty sure it's got to be carbon build-up on the pistons top.

Just wondering if there is anything out there like an engine flush or something that I could add to reduce this build-up. Last thing I'd really want to do is to take the head apart just to remove the carbon.

Thanks.

To start you might want to try one of the bottle fuel system cleaners that contain PEA in a 30% or more concentration. Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner and Red Line LS-1 are good effective products.

The most important aspect is that the active ingredient PEA is the only truly effective decarboning gasoline detergent that doesn't leave its own residue behind.

You folks gotta realise that this poster is not in North America?!

If SG stands for Singapore than I guess he has to resort to doing some local intelligence and source chemicals locally available.

to OP: funny you didn't even post your vehicle type/year/mileage and what sort of gas brand (Caltex? Shell?) or motor oil and portion of you maintenance history of your vehicle to begin with.

Q.

Hot water via a vacuum line. Google it. Just use care! Then a good compete fuel system cleaner should keep things clean.

wow quest, that was really observant! And you'd probably from Canada? This is on a recently rebuilt honda k20a engine with 98 ron (prob equivalent to a 92 in the US).

I'm going to see if I can get some gumout regane, don't know if I can buy it online and it shipped over here though.

Just checked and I don't think Gumout is available here locally. We do get FP60, STP complete fuel cleaner and some other brands though. Would these work or are there any other recommendations?

I am assuming that fuel system cleaners are the generic answer to my problem?

Originally Posted By: charliebrownie
Just checked and I don't think Gumout is available here locally. We do get FP60, STP complete fuel cleaner and some other brands though. Would these work or are there any other recommendations?

I am assuming that fuel system cleaners are the generic answer to my problem?

Hi CharlieBrownie,

give them a try if they aren't too much to ask for.

While we avid posters here are very passionate RE: helping each other out when it comes to dealing with situations RE: car, etc. you have to be ever some mindful that most of them tend to post advice/suggestions based on their locality (i.e. North America, etc.) so things that you see may not be something you typically get locally.

good luck on that (I spent some time in SG before).

Q.

p.s. are you able to get some Japanese automotive products such as CRC-KURE injector cleaner, etc.? Those would be better than STP or so.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
"Addictives"! I like that word; it describes them too well :)

LOL... I just noticed that as well. It describes many of us on BITOG, too. :)

Hmm no, haven't heard or seen of the CRC-KURE brand here. Any idea if FP60 or the STP one would work better for my 'problem'?

Quest: When and how long were you here for?

Last edited:
IMHO STP is very weak and may not work at all (in your case). FP-60 (assuming that it's Fuel-Power 60 by Lube Control: http://www.lcdinc.com/products_fuel_power.php) then yeah, that's a good product (I'm currently also using LC-60 in my parent's car, just so that you know).

As for how long I was there for, let's just say that I was attending Holy Innocent's High school (primary section) in Upper Sarangoon) and that basically predates the amalgamation of the the 2 sections and subsequent moving to the new address in 1985...

19.gif

Q.

Last edited:
CRC is very respected name in auto chemical industry. They make good products or to put it another way, they don't make bad products. Few companies such as 3M, Meguair etc are in the same league i.e. you can pick up *any* product made by those companies and you would be assured of getting a top ranked product.

STP on the other hand is known to make pretty lousy products in general.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
CRC is very respected name in auto chemical industry. They make good products or to put it another way, they don't make bad products. Few companies such as 3M, Meguair etc are in the same league i.e. you can pick up *any* product made by those companies and you would be assured of getting a top ranked product.

STP on the other hand is known to make pretty lousy products in general.

- Vikas

I personally do not care about SsssTeePea products at all.

Also: the OP is in Singapore and you have to put that into perspective that in certain parts of the world you may have difficulties getting high quality additives and/or oil, unlike North America.

cheers3.gif

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back