Leaking from radiator hose clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have a small leak at the connection of the top radiator hose to the radiator.
It seems to be leaking past the hose clamp.
However the hose clamps in my car are those clip types so there is no way to tighten them.
Is there any way to tighten these clamps other than changing them to the screw types?

Ah looks like I have to replace them then. Any way to know how much to tighten.
Afraid of over tightening which was never a problem with the clip types.

The usual rule of thumb is to tighten until the rubber is even with the little slots in the band that the screw uses to tighten it. Although I've been known to tighten until the leak stops under pressure (if it doesn't then the hose needs replaced)!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The usual rule of thumb is to tighten until the rubber is even with the little slots in the band that the screw uses to tighten it. Although I've been known to tighten until the leak stops under pressure (if it doesn't then the hose needs replaced)!

+1

Spring clamps are far superior to most screw clamps because they automatically adjust as the hose and fitting expands and contracts with temperature. You can get screw clamps with a built-in spring, but they're hard to find.

If your hose is leaking with a spring clamp on it, it's probably because the hose is deteriorating and needs to be replaced. Pull off the hose and inspect it. While you're at it, clean the nipple. If the nipple is crusty, it's probably the hose breaking down. Or, the nipple wasn't cleaned before a new hose was put on.

I have spring clamps that are 20+ years old and doing just fine. It's not like spring steel loses it's spring at only 100*C.

Asterix

+1. Supposedly thermoplastic hose clamps are the best, but they wouldn't be reusable and are hard to find. It's hard to find spring clamps too and sometimes replacement hoses can be thicker than the originals and the original spring clamps won't fit, but spring clamps do seem to work the best.

Quote:
You can get screw clamps with a built-in spring, but they're hard to find.

..and very expensive. They can be $5/each vs. $0.75/each

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
It's hard to find spring clamps too

NAPA has 'em. They're in the catalog as constant torque hose clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back