Yokohama AVID ENVigor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a new tire from Yokohama. In my 215/55-17 size, it is priced at $125/tire on TireRack, which is extremely competitive. It also carries a 60,000 mile warranty and is lighter than the OE tires at only 23 lbs.
crazy2.gif

Quote:
FULLERTON, CA. – (Feb. 5, 2010) – Sizes matter.

Yokohama Tire Corporation’s all-new AVID® ENVigor™ – the first tire to combine high-performance, superior comfort, eco sensibilities and long treadlife – will hit the market March 1 in 69 sizes for a wide variety of vehicle applications, making it one of the largest tire launches in Yokohama’s history.

“ENVigor is a tire for almost everyone,” said Mark Chung, Yokohama director, corporate strategy and planning. “The ENVigor’s array of vehicle applications range from entry-level to luxury coupes and sedans. It will fit pure high-performance cars like the Mustang and 370Z, as well as high-end makes such as the Audi A3 and Lexus GS. Plus there are fitments for various SUVs and crossovers from OEMs such as Volkswagen, Toyota and Honda.”

In addition to the breadth of applications and sizes, Chung said the ENVigor – which replaces Yokohama’s popular AVID H4s/V4s and W4 tires – offers unprecedented performance. It is the first to collectively offer consumers superior traction and handling, enhanced comfort, treadlife and excellent gas mileage. “That’s why a new category – Grand Performance – was created for it,” noted Chung. “The ENVigor is a technical marvel.”

Made in the U.S at Yokohama’s Salem, Virginia plant, the ENVigor comes in H-, V- and W-ratings. It is engineered with Yokohama’s proprietary Adaptive 3D sipes (which help maintain water and winter traction); angled groove walls and circumferential grooves that resist hydroplaning; a tapered center rib and unibloc shoulder for stiffness; a six-pitch tread variation for reduced pattern noise; groove-in-groove technology for reduced uneven wear; and an all-new silica compound for excellent fuel efficiency.

Added Dan King, Yokohama vice president, sales and marketing, “ENVigor is reflective of Yokohama’s commitment to bring to the market products of highest technological innovations. ENVigor is quite possibly the most complete performance tire ever created.”

Celebrating its 40th anniversary in the United States, Yokohama Tire Corporation is the North American manufacturing and marketing arm of Tokyo, Japan-based The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd., a global manufacturing and sales company of premium tires since 1917. Servicing a network of more than 4,500 points of sale in the U.S., Yokohama Tire Corporation is a leader in technology and innovation. The company’s complete product line includes the dB Super E-spec™ - the world’s first tire to use orange oil to reduce petroleum – as well as tires for high-performance, light truck, passenger car, commercial truck and bus, and off-the-road mining and construction applications. For more information on Yokohama’s extensive product line, visit www.yokohamatire.com.

Yokohama is a strong supporter of the tire care and safety guidelines established by the Rubber Manufacturers Association and the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration. Details can be found at the “Tire Safety” section at www.yokohamatire.com.

http://yokohamatire.com/newsroom/?q=node/162
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/tire-rack-team-blog/0/0/new-yokohama-tires-the-avid-envigor

Anyone have a set?

If you get some let me know how you like them. I'm looking at them too. $95 at tirerack, $130 in Canada on web. Guess where I'll be getting them?

Originally Posted By: Seguino
If you get some let me know how you like them. I'm looking at them too. $95 at tirerack, $130 in Canada on web. Guess where I'll be getting them?

Remember to declare them at customs on the way back ;-)

I hope you dont need new tires on the altima already.

$500 just for a set of tires?!?!? before installation, disposal, tax, etc? cripes!

Originally Posted By: expat

Remember to declare them at customs on the way back ;-)

Made in USA so duty free Just GST/PST. Kind of hard to hide 4 tires!

Have them installed.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Have them installed.

I get free changeovers at my car dealer so it's cheaper to pay the tax than have them put on in US. Would you risk having your car seized to save $28 in tax?

Last edited:
I bought the Avid Touring tires in March 2002 in 2004 they were cracking on the sidewall. I had just moved to San Diego in November 2004 by 2006 they were really bad. I was driving on them like that for a while. Discount Tire looked at them and discounted the cracking as.

They were only about 1//4 - 1/3 of the way through the tread. I was real easy on them as well. I did use 303 vinyl/rubber treatment on the tires every once in a while. It's almost like they did not put enough UV inhibitors in the tire? Maybe it was a bad batch. I hope I'm the only one with the problem. I am not considering Yokohama for any future purchases. I replaced them with BFG touring tires.

I have had much cheaper tires in the past and used Armor All on them and never had any cracking sidewalls. I bought the Avid touring tires because Consumer Reports rated them very high.

I've seen more than one report about cracking with Yokohama tires. My Avid TRZs have not had any cracking yet, but they're only a year-and-a-half old (with 10k miles on them).

I will state my car was always parked outside. The cracking really took off when I moved to San Diego the land of the sun.

I liked the tires other than the cracking and wanted them to work out as well as they were rated on Consumer Reports. It's just disheartening to see them start cracking when the tread was barely broken in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

$500 just for a set of tires?!?!? before installation, disposal, tax, etc? cripes!

My grandmother spend over $1k on new Goodyear Fortera HLs for her edge (I think 245/60/18) which included mounting and all that other stuff.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

My grandmother spend over $1k on new Goodyear Fortera HLs for her edge (I think 245/60/18) which included mounting and all that other stuff.

Those tires go for $150-170 USD what in the world did they do to charge over $1k?

ridiculous. I get the claims that cars can stop better these days, etc., but the lifecycle costs of vehicles are going through the roof due to add-ons like that.

Couple that to a declining standard of living for a vast majority of the public, and I see a trend towards inferior quality replacements, or holding onto balding tires longer.

All of this effects safety too. With all the added power, handling and braking, it is a zero sum game because of all the added incidents due to high-cost parts being tougher for the general public to replace.

Well, the local tire man had my size ( 205/55/16 ) for $110, and Yokohama Canada has a rebate on them now so the net price was $90. They go on next Wednesday and I will post a review after I put a few miles on them and do a fill up to see if they save fuel as claimed.

ridiculous. I get the claims that cars can stop better these days, etc., but the lifecycle costs of vehicles are going through the roof due to add-ons like that.

Couple that to a declining standard of living for a vast majority of the public, and I see a trend towards inferior quality replacements, or holding onto balding tires longer.

All of this effects safety too. With all the added power, handling and braking, it is a zero sum game because of all the added incidents due to high-cost parts being tougher for the general public to replace.

You're right. It's ridiculous that someone should expect to make a living selling, installing, and repairing tires for the general public. All those services should be free.

Let's see, by the time you purchase

a balancer ($4,000, because God forbid I don't balance your tires right, so let's go with a mid-line price, and we got to be able to balance your 305/50/20's),

a tire changing machine ($9,000, because God forbid I should have one that will scratch that 20 inch rim, and God forbid I not have them de-mounted and mounted within an hour, while you sit in my waiting room using my wi-fi that I provide free of charge, since I have to have it to conduct business anyways or my cable TV so your kids have something to do instead of screaming at you and tearing my waiting area to [censored].),

a lift, or two ($10,000 to $14,000 because I need to lift your vehicle in a manner that is safe for me and for your ride. Not only to change tires, but to do oil changes and other work for people who cannot/will not do it on their own.)

all the tools and necessities to accomplish this task (wheel weights, weight hammer, hi-speed buffer, scraper, glue, patches, plugs, valve stems, valve stem puller, air chucks, impacts, sockets, etc)

Then I have to pay for the place to perform the service, all the overhead with it, set some of it aside for when that stuff does break, get rid of the waste tires, and then provide for my family.

So, instead of complaining about add-ons, go get yourself a can of starter fluid and a match and do it yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back