The Wax Shop products...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you guys used The Wax Shop products? I remember seeing their ads at car shows and races and the reviews seemed to be positive. They sell a "glaze" product - what is that? How does that differ from a liquid or paste carnauba wax? Do you apply glaze over wax? Please share any experiences you've had with these products, I'm thinking about trying it out. Thanks!

Wax Shop used to be an independent company based in So Cal (Fullerton, IIRC). The glaze product is called Super Glaze. I used to use it all the time when detailing black cars; it was a secret weapon of mine back in the 80's and 90's.

It was bought out by Turtle Wax some years ago and the product line reformulated. From what I have heard, the brand has been discontinued. I know its still popular with the street rod crowd, although they are probably buying old stock products now.

Super Glaze is different than a regular glaze. Super Glaze is more of your traditional cleaner wax product. A true glaze is a beauty polish, non abrasive (or very low), and is designed to fill in minor paint flaws and leave the paint ready for wax. Glazes have no protective ability so it must be topped with wax - wax is always your last step product.

Ahh, thanks! This is what I wanted to know about glaze. So their glaze is mildly abrasive? Hmmm, use sparingly.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Ahh, thanks! This is what I wanted to know about glaze. So their glaze is mildly abrasive? Hmmm, use sparingly.

Actually, I think Super Glaze's cleaning ability was chemical, using xylene or another nasty mineral spirit. If it had abrasives, they were pretty mild. Still, it left a nice shine on a black car.

If you still have some now, it's too old. I bought some at Big Lots at least 6 years ago. I was never too impressed -- even at $2. I still have some of their Aluminum (Billet) Metal Polish -- which is now starting to separate.

A friend of mine uses their Slick Stuff detailer spray and buys it by the gallon. Waxes his vehicles once a year and cleans they with detail spray about every two weeks. They always look better than new.

I went thru bottles of the Super Glaze back in the early 80's when the Wax Shop first came out, the original formula was great and really shined but it didn't last too long, when Turtle Wax took over it was all downhill from there, last year I bought a bottle of the new HD Super Glaze and their HD Slick Stuff spray detailer, wasn't impressed with the Super Glaze wax but the spray detailer worked great.
www.waxdepot.com

Yeah, the HD Super Glaze was what I was looking at. May I ask: Why were you not happy with it?

Thanks!

I didn't realize this stuff was still around. It was a couple of bucks at Big Lots, and now they are wanting $17? I can't remember much about it --- since it was so long ago. I just know I couldn't wait until it was gone. I think it stained trim? Smelled bad? (I can get past this if the product is good -- see Collinite 845).

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Yeah, the HD Super Glaze was what I was looking at. May I ask: Why were you not happy with it?

Thanks!

They must have changed the formula for the Super Glaze,before it had a nice vanilla scent, went on smooth and wiped off easy, now it's harder to wipe off and it streaked
31.gif

Hmmm, OK. I've run out of detailer spray so I may go for Slick Stuff. My paint's good so I'll probably pass on the Super Glaze and stick with carnauba wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back