2T oil in Diesel to improve lubricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`ve been reading about 2 time engine oil in diesel (1:200) to improve lubricity on new ULSD, has any one known about this practice?

In Mexico two stroke oil is called dos tiempo 2T

Two stroke oil (wal mart TC-W3) tested in the pdf linked above as having a fairly good reduction in wear scarring of 162 micron reduction at a cheap cost of $1.09 per tank. With the caveat that it is not recommended for 2007 or newer.

I use a mixture of two stroke oil, and stanadyne (which did not show wonderful wear properties in this test).

Last edited:
I have been using the TC-W3 in the diesels for a while, and now I pour about 3 ounces in each tank of the gasoline engined cars too.

My dad used to buy top end lube when I was a kid, so I guess I am using the 2 stroke oil for that purpose on the gasoline engines(so far I haven't seen the mpg magic the Tc-W3 posts were showing and I have not tried running MMO instead) and to help lubricity on the diesel.

Thanks for the link on that test of lubricity.

Last edited:
Good to read here are users of this metod, I`ve been using it for the first time in my last refill, I heard and feel it smoother, I`ll do the 500ml next time, I used 350mm about, for 75 liters of fuel. Found another post talking abut it in diesel fuel forum, very crowded!
It is nothing old, old truck drivers use something similar, they use engine oil on every refill of diesel, for the pump and injectors to lub better, but is the firs time I read about 2Cycle oil, That is how it is name in english.
I`ll high the dose!

This has been discussed widely mostly for gas engines, but diesels as well. I am using it in my tractor because some units left the factory with a composite plastic gear in the injection pump that fails around the 300-400 hr mark. There are not allot of units that have had this particular failure. But its always better safe then sorry so I am using it even in offroad non-ULSD diesel. If I have to buy Diesel at the local retailers it is all ULSD so I would rather have 2C oil in the tank already.

I am running 8oz of synthetic 2T oil per fill up in my Golf 1.9L TDI for the past 75K miles. I got better mileage (~ 2mpg) and no problem that I can see or detect.

I use this amongst other things in my diesels and gassers. The wal mart tcw3 oil stinks like kerosine partially burning, so I've found it unsuitable for my use, where oil is kept in the trunk for treatment. I run pennzoil and amsoil, as they don't stink and offgas as much.

I do like to change adds often to get various cleaning properties of each, but a watersport tcw-3 oil is a good choice. Is 200:1 the best option? Maybe, maybe not...

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Used oil at 200:1 should no improvement.

I question this test because they used the old oil at such an incredibly low ratio. Most folks I know, run 2 gallons of it per 30 gallon tank, not a measely 16 ounces!!! At even 1 gallon per tank, it would save you 4 .50 in cost of the Stanadyne (which was directly above the used oil in the test results) while providing the same (if not higher) lubricity boost. Also saving you the cost of the gallon of diesel fuel it displaces in the fuel tank. Engine runs just fine on this. The GM 6.5 turbodiesel is the only diesel engine I know of that you CANNOT run used oil in. This engine comes with an optical sensor in the fuel pump, there may be other engines that use these, I dont know.

Originally Posted By: DesertDually
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Used oil at 200:1 should no improvement.

I question this test because they used the old oil at such an incredibly low ratio. Most folks I know, run 2 gallons of it per 30 gallon tank, not a measely 16 ounces!!! At even 1 gallon per tank, it would save you 4 .50 in cost of the Stanadyne (which was directly above the used oil in the test results) while providing the same (if not higher) lubricity boost. Also saving you the cost of the gallon of diesel fuel it displaces in the fuel tank. Engine runs just fine on this. The GM 6.5 turbodiesel is the only diesel engine I know of that you CANNOT run used oil in. This engine comes with an optical sensor in the fuel pump, there may be other engines that use these, I dont know.
Personally, I'd be a little scared to run used motor oil in a CR or Powerstroke diesel myself-but an older mechanically injected fuel system is much more forgiving, & I run 200:1 TCW-3 in both my Stanadyne IP equipped engines, the 6.2 GMC & the 7.3 IDI Ford.

I run 1oz/gal. in my 7.3 Ford and VW TDI. The butt dyno says it idles smoother, seems to rattle less under load up a hill, but has no measured effect on economy. I do it because I AM A BITOGER!!!!!!

Running used motor oil with in diesel is terrible idea. No profit generating company would ever conceive the notion.

Diesel engine use high pressure in the injection system to maintain efficiency and risking clogging these with contaminants and metal particles is bad idea.

Also the HFRR lubricity test with used motor oil shows almost no benefit.

I worked with oil and gas companies that run diesel engines 24-7 at full load and consulted on reliability. There are companies producing plant derived anti-friction esters that perform with 55% score at crazy ratios of 200 ppm. That a 1/4 oz per 10gal and this is what is being used in big heavy industry.

Also using motor oil in a diesel engine will increase cylinder and exhaust heat. Potentially 5-10% due to the slow burn. Friction additive in motor oil do not burn well and will deposit. 2-cycle additive are very different and would be better choice between the two.

Throwing a big mess in your fuel also reduces fuel economy. The less you goo it up the better output you will get. Oxygen needs to move trough your fuel droplets, otherwise you get a pyle of soot.

There is company call Lubriflux and their main product is DieselFlux. Its being used on petroleum rigs and by far the most lubricative product we tested. It was 1oz per 10gal but cut component wear in half. I'm not sure if they sell to the public but might be some thing to check out.

Looked up the Diesel Flux-$250 per GALLON!?! I'll never complain about the price of Power Service nor MMO ever again!! At that price, injectors would be cheaper!

I have been told that hydraulic fluid is a good diesel additive. They claimed it adds sulfur to the fuel. This is third hand information supposedly recomended by a well known diesel shop.

the test by the diesel place. is not done well in my opinion. 1. each lube is used at a different ratio. 2. then at the end this is,posted.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to
perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This
is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other
components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities
behind these poor results will be investigated.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be
considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a
+/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.
::::::::3. is speculative.? 4. and the test is done with a ball bearing. not pistons, valves ect. in my opinion the test has meaning only in very narrow range of material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back