PT Cruiser transmission leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an '05 manny tranny cruiser. A leak has occurred and we cannot find the dipstick to check level as outlined in the owners' manual. Can anyone tell us where it is? Also, if there a special tran fuel that needs to be used. We are travelling in the Tampa area and there are no dealerships that service Cruisers. Any suggestions? How about the transmission service centers? Any good? Any other advice?

Most manual transmission do not have a dipstick. The dipstick your owner's manual is referring to is likely for automatic transmissions only. It most likely has a plug on the side of the trans. Make sure the car is level and remove the plug. If some fluid comes dribbling out, it's full. If not, add fluid until it does. The owner's manual should tell you what type of fluid to use for it. It most likely uses ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid. (yes, many manual transmissions use auto trans fluid)

thanks for the reply exranger. Now I guess I need to know why the leak, ie, defective gasket. Either way it will cost. Hopefully not an arm and leg. What's a fair price?

The most common places for a manual transaxle to leak are the seals where the inner CV joint is connected.

You would have to remove the halfshaft, then remove the oil seal on the transxaxle.

The price of the service depends on how easy halfshaft removal on your car is.

OK, finally found the culprit. The fill plug, which is rubber, has deteriorated and is dripping the transmission fluid. I found a new plug at a dealership and will take it to be replaced by my mechanic. I hope that solves the problem.

When I took it to AAMCO they said there were 3 bolts loose and that was causing the leak, but upon further inspection the fill plug softening seems to be the answer. Anyway, we will know tomorrow when we take it to be replaced. If that does not solve the problem, I will be back on this forum for other ideas.

Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back