NAPA Batteries Are Now Made By Deka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend's 2002 Daewoo Lanos might need a new battery. It's a Group 86, and of course, NAPA is the only one who has one locally.

I have heard that NAPA's new battery supplier is DEKA. Is that true?

Thanks!

I read that somewhere else, also. I looked at Napa, before buying a Deka, and the spec's for my battery where exactly the same as the Deka. Which made me conclude that it is true, that they are the supplier.

Napa batteries have been made by Deka since early 2009. They make great batteries. At our Napa store, the defect rate is 75% less than when Exide was supplying us.

Dave

If this is so, big news. A lot of my clunkers come with unexciting NAPA/exide batteries as installed by previous mechanics. (Interstate doesn't seem too popular here with them despite their network of 300k dealers or whatever.) Deka really seems up-and-coming, a chain of three stores opened here bragging about the brand.

Posted by dwcopple on another thread:

I have a patient in my therapy office right now who retired from east Penn manufacturing and he sold Deka batteries. He said Meijer batteries are Deka's. He is probably biased, but he swears by the technology. They have a neat website too.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Posted by dwcopple on another thread:

I have a patient in my therapy office right now who retired from east Penn manufacturing and he sold Deka batteries. He said Meijer batteries are Deka's. He is probably biased, but he swears by the technology. They have a neat website too.

Meijer's? They look like like JC batteries to me. That would be surprise...

As far as NAPA, my local store still has Exide batteries. I know that Cobalt's battery is Deka (as I was pricing around) My wife has a NAPA 65, bought in Feb of 09. Not sure which battery that would be.

If they are deka (all) then thar will the next battery....

Last time I was in NAPA, a month ago, they were made by Exide.

AAA batteries used to made by Exide but are now Deka. (These are the batteries that AAA will sell you if you call for a jump and your battery turns out to be bad).

BTW, the towing company pays AAA more for those batteries than you could buy an equivalent at Costco. I was told that they can't get a single one for under $80.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
AAA? As in the roadside service? They have their own brand of batteries?

It's just a sticker that they print up and put on someone else's battery.

That's what private-labeling is..and most batteries are private-labeled. Johnson Controls does not sell car batteries under their own name, it's all private-label.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Anybody know if Canadian NAPA Batteries are going to be Dekas as well?
My local Napa dealer in town here told me that all Canadian NAPA brand batteries are made by DEKA and in the States Excide was sub- contracted to make some NAPA batteries because Deka couldn't keep up with demand.He seems to be in the know most of the time
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greaser
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Anybody know if Canadian NAPA Batteries are going to be Dekas as well?
My local Napa dealer in town here told me that all Canadian NAPA brand batteries are made by DEKA and in the States Excide was sub- contracted to make some NAPA batteries because Deka couldn't keep up with demand.He seems to be in the know most of the time
21.gif

I think it depends on the size. According to the deka website, they do not make the group size my car needs (35)

My bad. Just double checked and they do make grp 35 so previous post most likely correct.

Last edited:
The NAPA store told me yesterday that their house brand battery is now made by "BCI" ... Battery Council International.

I don't think he knew what he was talking about, because BCI doesn't really make batteries.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have a Napa POWER battery in my Maxima. (It's new) What's the way to tell the brand? I'm curious now.

Deka Batteries don't have caps on them which enable you to check water levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back