John Deere Coolgard/Coolgard II for 1988 7.3l IDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I know this has been talked about before......BUT. I am still confused, as different poeple seem to have different opinions on this subject. I have a 1988 7.3. Bought it this past fall from my neighbour, who had it from new. 60,000 miles, used very little just as a farm truck. I had the coolant changed to Coolgard when I bought it. From what I have been able to find out about this, it appears Coolgard (and now Coolgard II) has sca's in it already, and you don't need to add any. We have been using it in our JD farm equipment for years, and had no problems with it. I just want to be sure that I am using the correct coolant to avoid any cavitation problems down the road. It seems some people seem to think this is the same stuff as the Ford "Gold", and that it is NOT the right stuff for pre-powerstroke idi's. Is Coolgard not a HD ELC, similiar to Fleetgard, Delo, Cat, etc? I have a hard time believing it is not .....with the applications they are intending it for with their heavy duty diesel agricultural engines. Can someone PLEASE confirm this for me! I would like to use a heavy duty diesel, extended life coolant that does NOT need additional sca's added to it (obviously I thought this was the case with Coolgard). I keep this stuff on hand around the farm for all the tractors and combines and highway tractor trucks, and would just like to use it in the 7.3 as well, for simplicity sake. But if it's not correct, I will change to what is. Thanks in advance......Derek

You can use it in you 7.3. No additves needed if it is EC-1 rated

I like any of the HD ELC that are EC-1 rated. My favorite is peak Final Charge for the 7.3's and older IDI engines

Mix 50/50 and forget additives.

Do NOT use ford Gold coolant

Last edited:
Hey Dieseltech

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if it is EC-1 rated? On another site someone told me that Coolgard is the same as the Ford Gold! That's why I am getting confused with this!

I do not believe it is. You would still have to use a Penrays or Fleetrite additive with it..

You may check napa or walmart and get yourself some final charge. Then you wont have to worry about for a good long time.

I also high reccomend a coolant filtration system on the Powerstroke.

If you run the Coolgard II like DT said no additives are needed for cavitation there already in their,just do a dip test once a year to make sure additive levels are in check.

Originally Posted By: DBunkowsky
It seems some people seem to think this is the same stuff as the Ford "Gold", and that it is NOT the right stuff for pre-powerstroke idi's.

The Ford Gold is G05, correct? For many years here, we have been assuming that Coolgard was G05.....G05 IS Deere approved after all.

But, in this following recent thread, a supposed JD tech. said that Coolgard IS NOT G05. Go down about 8 answers:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1696012#Post1696012

He claims that G05 does not have the cavitation protection level that Coolgard has.

So, can we infer that Ford Gold = G05 but does not = Coolgard?

As always, be careful of what you believe off the internet.

Ford gold yes is G0-5. I am also NOT reccomending the coolgard for his powerstroke unless he want to continue adding additives.

A coolant that is EC-1 would be a better option for him such as final charge

Ford also began using G0-5 in 2002 7.3's but have since retracted the use of the product in 7.3 and suggest green with an additive. At my shop EC-1 coolant is all I put in 7.3's. Most people are not intune with the exact needs and this covers there lack of maintance of the cooling system. It's pretty much the same cost said and done aswell.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I stopped in at my local JD dealer on my way home from work this afternoon. They sell coolant test strips that test the "sca" levels in Coolgard. So YES...there are sca's in Coolgard. And from what I can understand of this situation, they just need to be monitored yearly, unlike a coolant such as the Peak Final Charge, or Cat HD ELC coolants, which are good for up to 8 years. So I must admit I am somewhat surprised that the coolant Deere is providing and recommending to their customers is not the "highest end" product out there, but the fact is..... it still has an additive package that is supposed to deter cavitation in my diesel engine, which is what I am concerned with. Btw... Dieseltech, my truck is a 1988 7.3, it is an IDI, not a Powerstroke. Apparently Ford has said there are some "campatabilty issues" with pre'99 IDI and Powerstroke diesels (mine included) with the HD ELC's. So now I don't even know if I should use one of them on my next change! This VERY confusing, trying to figure out who to trust and listen to. And remember, from 1998 to 1992.... Ford didn't even want to admit there was a problem with cavitation in these engines, and did not reccommend a coolant with sca's. That sure changed! So I'm going to leave the Coolgard in there for now, and try and decide when time comes for a change if I should go to a HD ELC. All I know for sure is our farm diesels work alot harder than my pickup does, and they have done just fine in the past 20 years on Coolgard. Btw....Coolgard is good for 5 years, and Coolgard II 6 years, if that's not "extended life", what is??!! I think there are too many types and definitions of cooling being marketed, if you want my OP. Hopefully my truck does as well as our farm equipment has using Coolgard. Thanks for your input everyone.

Last edited:
JD does state that CGII can be used in Autos and trucks,6 years is a long time IMO.

side note can i ask what you paid for your test stips?i need some also.

Features and benefits

· 6-year or 6,000-hour* service life to reduce downtime and lower operating costs

· Offers 20% longer service intervals, which translate to savings

· Possesses the high thermal and oxidative stability required by engines equipped with cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)

· Provides superior performance in all liquid-cooling system designs

· Protects against corrosion and deposits, extends water pump life, and minimizes liner cavitation

· Contains Bitrex® to help discourage accidental ingestion

· Supports advanced engine technology

· Supports higher cooling demands

· Service-ready for existing equipment

· Compatible with Cool-Gard™

· Excellent for diesel and automotive engines

· Fully formulate – no coolant conditioner required at initial f

Cool-Gard™ II Frequently Asked Questions
Cool-Gard II Heavy-Duty Summer Coolant/Winter Antifreeze with 6 year/6,000 hour service life has been introduced to dealers and customers as of December 2008. These are additional questions and answers to support your understanding of the event.

Why are we launching Cool-Gard II?

New product development is part of our commitment to serving the customer. Market demands supporting our decision to launch at this time include:

- Engine technology advancements

- Higher operating temperatures due to exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)

- Compact cooler designs due to equipment space limitations

- Alternate component construction/metallurgy

- Extended service intervals from customer demand for economy

- Global market/environmental constraints and requests for Nitrite free preferences

Can I top-off with Cool-Gard II if my system has Cool-Gard as factory fill?

Yes. A mixture of Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II is acceptable as these coolants are compatible. This response is based on knowing the detailed chemistry of each product and the fact that the following mixtures of Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II, 3:1, 2:1, 1:1, 1:2 & 1:3 by volume, were mixed together and performance tested against

ASTM D1384, the glassware corrosion test – all tests passed

ASTM D4340, the heat rejecting aluminum test – all tests passed

The same would be true if a dealer or customer uses Cool-Gard to top-off a new 2009 model delivered with Cool-Gard II.

Is Cool-Gard™ II compatible with other brands and types of coolant in the market place?

Yes, Cool-Gard II is compatible with other coolants in the marketplace. Although we do not recommend mixing of other coolants with Cool-Gard II, as part of our due diligence, we have performed compatibility testing against other heavy duty diesel coolants representing a spectrum of formulation strategies, including Caterpillar ELC, Detroit Diesel PowerCool and PowerCool Plus, and Cummins ES Complete and Cummins Optimax. Using standardized ASTM test procedures, Cool-Gard II was mixed at 3:1, 1:1, & 1:3 ratios and subjected to ASTM 1384 and ASTM 4340 test procedures. All of these mixtures did pass these two corrosion tests.

Is Cool-Gard II compatible with automotive coolant?

Yes, with this cautionary note; we are compatible from a product perspective, but it must be noted that we do not recommend using any automotive coolant in a diesel or heavy duty application. The main reason for this is that most automotive coolants are not designed to provide liner cavitation performance, and as such, mixing of Cool-Gard or Cool-Gard II with automotive coolant will dilute the ability of our coolants to provide adequate liner cavitation protection. Mixing of Cool-Gard or Cool-Gard II with automotive coolant is not recommended.

Is Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II compatible with glycerin products?

It is too early to tell as there is very little to no glycerin based coolant in the North American engine coolant market. There are additional questions of mixing different base fluids, i.e. ethylene glycol, and glycerin due to lack of standardization or history of product (glycerin) use. Compatibility with the Cummins glycerin based coolant is planned and the results will be added to our coolant compatibility database.

What do we recommend for service intervals if Cool-Gard™ and Cool-Gard II are mixed?

A mixture of Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II would default to lower service interval, which is 5 years/5,000 hours. The diluted mixture does not ensure performance at the premium service interval of Cool-Gard II which is 6 year / 6,000 hours. Annual testing is recommended.

Can I use the current test strips if I top off with Cool-Gard II?

No. The current 3-way test strip (TY16175) will continue to be offered for legacy applications. We have introduced a new 3-way test strip for use with Cool-Gard II. The new strips are recommended for Cool-Gard II systems and those same systems exposed to only topping off with Cool-Gard inventory.

Can I use the new test strips if I top off with Cool-Gard?

Yes. The new test strip is a three pad test strip (glycol, pH and organic additive content). Follow this simple recommendation for test strip use;

Pure Cool-Gard = use the current strips TY16175

Pure Cool-Gard II = use the new strips TY26605

Cool-Gard I + II blend = use the new strips TY26605

Can I use Coolant Conditioner in a mixture of Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II?

No. Coolant Conditioner (TY16004 / TY16005) is formulated to replenish the additive package of Cool-Gard. We recommend not using Coolant Conditioner in mixed systems and risk a possible overdose of coolant additives. Cool-Gard II Coolant Extender product TY26603 should be used or the system should be flushed and refilled with Cool-Gard II.

Can I use Cool-Gard II Coolant Extender when I have a mixture of Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II?

Yes. By using the new test strips, a mixture of Cool-Gard and Cool-Gard II will give proper indication of the Cool-Gard II Extender that should be added to the system.

Are there any changes to cautionary statements regarding consumption by animals?

Cool-Gard II is made with an ethylene glycol (EG) base, as is Cool-Gard, and the toxicity level of EG has not changed. Although not required in all areas, we will still add the bittering agent (Bitrex®) to all Cool-Gard II packages. The bitter taste of Bitrex helps to prevent accidental ingestion of this product. Packaging labels will continue to contain a warning to keep out of reach of children and animals.

What is the environmental impact of a spill?

Precaution should be taken to prevent spilling of coolant containing ethylene glycol. Do not reuse empty containers and dispose of them in accordance with governmental regulations. For 24-hour emergency assistance, call John Deere: 800-822-8262.

Can Cool-Gard II be recycled?

Yes. Cool-Gard II should be recycled just like any other antifreeze / engine coolant and it is not restricted.

Is the coolant to water ratio for Cool-Gard II to achieve similar freeze protection the same as Cool-Gard?

Yes. A 50/50 blend of de-ionized water and Cool-Gard II Concentrate (ethylene glycol) coolant will result in freeze point protection down to about -34° F.

What will happen if coolant gets into the engine oil crankcase?

The adverse effects of ethylene glycol-based coolant are universal to the oil in an engine crankcase. Ethylene glycol (or almost any other glycol, for that matter) will disrupt the lubrication properties of the oil. Any amount of coolant that gets into the crankcase is detrimental. If the glycol / water mix displaces the oil in the bearings, lubrication and load carrying ability is lost, and severe wear is going to rapidly occur.

Hey daman,

They were $8 Canadian for 4 strips. I thought that was reasonable.

Also, the strips are different for Coolgard, and Coolgard II, so make sure you buy the right ones, lol!! Unreal. You almost need to be a "rocket scientist" to know if you are using the proper coolant or not. You would think the industry could make it a little more user friendly. But I guess they all want to sell "their" product. Too bad it means some people end up using the incorrect coolant. I'm trying my hardest to make sure I am, but still am not 100% sure if I can use the HD ELC in my "pre 99" Ford diesel. Apparently it could be hard on my oil cooler o-rings, and some other coolant system parts. Diseltech, what's your take on this? I got this from an old thread on this subject by the coolant "gurus" over on dieselstop.com. But even they can't seem to agree with one another!!! I think my choice of Coolgard is pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks that sounds reasonable yes.

i hear ya this coolant stuff gives me a headache,one just wants the right stuff and be done with it,but no you have spec's recommendations on and on....

I think Coolgard is probably G-05 but it may have more nitrites in it than G-05 does. Coolgard II has a bunch of OATs so it may have gasket compatibility issue with your older Ford.

I think you should get Fleetcool. I've seen it at Napa and I bet some HD dealer carry it. It is Green IAT but with Cummins' DCA-2 which is what Ford used back then if I'm remembering right. What you want is Cummins DCA-2 or DCA-4 SCA to add in Green or just get the already formulated Fleetcool. In the past Ford used DCA-2 (or DCA-4) and GM used Pencool 2000 or 3000 for the diesels. Either will work and neither is OAT.

I would use EC-1 coolant. I have been a FORD Certified diesel tech for many years...over 15. The best chance to detour cavitaion is EC-1 coolant or Green with Pencool 3000. This is just my professional opinion. Your truck is not a JD either. Don't always go thinking because JD puts out a product that it is the best or the best for your application. If your continueing to plan on testing then I'd just use green zerex original low silicate and pencool 3000.

I wouldn't reccomend something I wouldn't put in my own truck that is as important as coolant is on these trucks.

Quote:
I would use EC-1 coolant. I have been a FORD Certified diesel tech for many years...over 15. The best chance to detour cavitaion is EC-1 coolant or Green with Pencool 3000. This is just my professional opinion. Your truck is not a JD either. Don't always go thinking because JD puts out a product that it is the best or the best for your application. If your continueing to plan on testing then I'd just use green zerex original low silicate and pencool 3000.I wouldn't reccomend something I wouldn't put in my own truck that is as important as coolant is on these truck

+1.

Thanks Guys.

Dieseltech, so you are of the opinion that using an EC-1, (I assume that is a HD ELC like Cat, Chevron and Peak make for highway tractors).....would be fine as far as seal compatability in my old tuck? Yes, it is 1988, but I can tell you guys it's in MINT condition, no rust anywhere, interior is like new, and I plan to use it for many, many years to come. That's why I want to do what is absolutely the best thing to try and stop cavitation. I know that is the weak point of that engine with the thin cylinder walls. 60,000 miles should be nothing on that engine, it should run a long time yet if I look after it properly.

as i stated in another post a few days ago, i have two of these trucks ('89 & '90) and both of them have had coolgard run through them for atleast 15plus years, no issues, none.
i check the coolant yearly with the test strips and add sca as needed.

when the supply of coolgard is used up, coolgard II will be added as needed, deere says they can be mixed so i can't forsee any incompatatabilty issues.

both of my trucks have under 40,000 mi., but thousands of ideling hrs. running hyd. system, use coolgard with confidence, not only do i have it in the two idi's, but also a dozen or so of other engines, and deere non deere, with no issues, '48 ford to my '07 powerstroke

Wow. Interesting opinions. I use Coolgard in my workplace JD tractors and am glad I don't have to make your decision, DBunkowsky.

Here, we have a pro Ford mechanic with one recommendation and roadrunner1 with some real world experience sharing his excellent results with Coolgard.

Please keep us informed if you learn more.

Originally Posted By: DBunkowsky
Thanks Guys.

Dieseltech, so you are of the opinion that using an EC-1, (I assume that is a HD ELC like Cat, Chevron and Peak make for highway tractors).....would be fine as far as seal compatability in my old tuck? Yes, it is 1988, but I can tell you guys it's in MINT condition, no rust anywhere, interior is like new, and I plan to use it for many, many years to come. That's why I want to do what is absolutely the best thing to try and stop cavitation. I know that is the weak point of that engine with the thin cylinder walls. 60,000 miles should be nothing on that engine, it should run a long time yet if I look after it properly.

Yes the EC-1 is compatable with the seals in your older IDI. 60K is nothing I traded off my 88 F350 with 369K on it. It was the first truck I ever had and i drove the [censored] out of it. became a man in that truck ( actually the bed ), 100's of camping trips. Great rig forsure!!

I replaced
1 water pump
1 injector pump
batteries of course every 4 years
1 transmission

I bought the truck from the company my dad worked for with 98k on it for a 1000.00 bux....It even had a work box bed and a lift gate on it. Didn't have a clue about lubrication so I ran Castrol 20-50 and a fram filter on it. I know another guy here that has one with 460k on his 88.

Make sure you run a good additive in the fuel. The injector pump will love you for it. not to mention they are expensive and a pain for most to change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back