Motorcraft 5W-20 vs. Motorcraft 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, very wrong, but my thought is that using an oil with extra seal swellers may shorter the life of healthy seals over time. If i had leaks, i would use it, but with no leaks, i'm very hesitant.

I do like everything else about MaxLife though.

Originally Posted By: mozart
I have seen 5quart semisynth jugs regularly in 5W30 and 5W20 at my local Walmart.

They definitely exist

The only place i've seen jugs of MC 5w30 is in a picture on the motorcraft website. If my walmart stocked it, i'd be all over that. The MC 5w20 is such an excellent value.

Quote:
I have seen 5quart semisynth jugs regularly in 5W30 and 5W20 at my local Walmart.

They definitely exist
Never seen the 5w30 (syn blend) in jugs at Wally since they started selling it in the early 2k's. Always seen, when it's not sold out, the 5w20 in jugs. It's currently $11.50 around here, a great everyday value.

If the vehicle called for 5w20, that's what I'd go with.

During the warranty period on my son's 2001 Honda Civic EX, we used Motorcraft 5W-20 at 5,000 mile OCIs. It was an easy oil to find at WalMart.

After the warranty period, we switched to Mobil 1 5W-20 at 7500 mile OCIs.

No problems at over 120,000 miles.

hominid7 said:
I could be wrong, very wrong, but my thought is that using an oil with extra seal swellers may shorter the life of healthy seals over time. If i had leaks, i would use it, but with no leaks, i'm very hesitant.

I think your wrong....the idea of useing a HM oil is to get those seals back to what they were when the vehicle was near new. Even so-called healthy seals are not the same as they were when the engine was new.

It might be to late to use it once you have leaks, so why not be safe and not sorry......
Redline SL-1 Fuel System Cleaner

I do see a very small oil leak at the rear main, seems to soon to be leaking, engine has had a steady diet of full synthetics. I am trying a dino or sythetic blend to see if the leak goes away. No other leaks so far. I did get rear ended a few years ago, really didn't do any damage to my truck, a big Dodge Ram hit me, my light end went up over his bumper, the heavy Dodge suffered far more damage. Wondering if the rear end impact could have transfered energy as far as the rear main seal, I really don't think it could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back