Amsoil - Maximum Viscosity Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of like this test. They took a legit ASTM test, and doubled it. Pretty interesting. I would have liked to have seen RL in this comparison. Their oils use very little to no VII's.

The bigger question is whether doubling the shear-cycles spec'd for CJ-4 has any real-world meaning/corollary/application i.e. are you ever going to run into a situation that mimics the 180 cycles vs. the 90 cycles. Does this mimic extended intervals?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
The bigger question is whether doubling the shear-cycles spec'd for CJ-4 has any real-world meaning/corollary/application i.e. are you ever going to run into a situation that mimics the 180 cycles vs. the 90 cycles. Does this mimic extended intervals?

Maybe not extended drains necessarily, but perhaps an application where shear is over and above the normal amount. IE, Ford PS diesels.

Interesting. I've been hoping someone would try DEO in the 2.0 FSI for a long time.

The graph verses Delvac is interesting. If you look at Nederlanders UOA on the 2.0 FSI he ran 99% highway and the oil sheared a lot. Adeer's engine would be a good test because he ran rotella and TDT both. Both of those are 99% runs however which gives completely different results than normal use. A good test would be DEO in normal usage.

I'm going to change to Brad Penn 10W40 today or this week. I think I will do a UOA early just to make sure there are no surprises. I keep hearing 10W30 is a different formulation than 10W40 but I don't know what the diff. is. The 10w30 Brad Penn looked amazing but having only 1 UOA, it is enough to peak curiosity only. If more Brad Penn runs show similar results, then we'll be on to something!

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Maybe not extended drains necessarily, but perhaps an application where shear is over and above the normal amount. IE, Ford PS diesels.

Makes sense. Would be nice to see various oils in the oil-munching motors and how they do.

I think this test probably originates from Amsoil's earlier findings of an up-swing in fuel dilution issues with the latest diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: Amsoil, Inc., 11/16/09
AMSOIL has documented increasing levels of fuel contamination (fuel dilution) in the engine oil of 2007-2008 light-duty Ford, GM and Dodge diesel pickups, and indications are that 2009-2010 models are also affected. Research indicates fuel dilution is intensifying due to the use of in-cylinder post-fuel injection during the engine’s exhaust stroke to regenerate the diesel particulate filter (DPF). Fuel in the oil reduces the oil’s life expectancy and effectiveness. Because diesel fuel is a natural solvent, fuel dilution in motor oil causes a decrease in viscosity which may lead to an increase in engine wear rates.

On those models listed, Amsoil adjusted their previously recommended drain interval from 3 times the OEM recommendation down to the OEM recommendation. You can thank the EPA for tough new emissions standards and the efforts of the automakers to meet them.

PAO based lubricants will be more shear resistant than Grp III's to begin with. Another thing to consider.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
UOAs are not "the truth"...
Then what is? No better proof on how an oil holds up in your engine than oil that has been run in your engine.

Ah, I see. I thought you meant to say that UOAs indicated engine wear. Entirely my fault for not taking your comment in context.

Sorry!

"Research indicates fuel dilution is intensifying due to the use of in-cylinder post-fuel injection during the engine’s exhaust stroke to regenerate the diesel particulate filter."

Terry has been speaking of this cylinder 'washing' for a number of years now, for both for gas and diesel engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back