06 Corolla Sludge :: MMO Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

There is NO WAY that engine saw 5k oil changes. So it's either the quick lube place did not do them and did charge her like the OP stated or his Girl Friends girl friend is not telling the truth.
29.gif

^ Exactly. I said the same thing way back in this thread.

The VVT-i now has a protective coat of varnish. Maybe next time you have the covers off hit the VVT-i and cams directly with some seafoam.

BTW great pics.

DSC05385.jpg

Originally Posted By: daman
Bill you sure know allot about how a iffy lube works and operates,proceedures, you must go there often to get service. Man you always have the "right" answer,
whistle.gif

I HAVE to take my work truck there a LOT. And sometimes I take other trucks there to get their oil changed.

We used to have our own state mechanics change oil but then someone up above decided that it was unfair to businesses to cut them out on the service so now we take the "normal" vehicles to Lube Centers (Work trucks up to 1 ton, Crown Vics, Tahoes and such) and the heavy duty stuff still gets done in "house".

I happen to pay attention to things around me (sorta my job) so I WATCH what they are doing.

Sorry if I state what I've seen and sorry that I'm trying to keep things real around here.

Whatever.... Who cares... Lets just slam everything here and spew whatever bias we have. Forget any facts...

Amazing.

you do that waay to often, members here im sure after reading up can make there own assumption on things there big boys

There is NO WAY that engine saw 5k oil changes. So it's either the quick lube place did not do them and did charge her like the OP stated or his Girl Friends girl friend is not telling the truth.
29.gif

But don't you sit in the car at jiffy lube while they change your oil? You'd have to be pretty stupid to pay them for an oil change if you didn't hear them working under the hood and under the car. Changing the oil and over tightening a new oil filter. I was in the car at a Valvoline quick lube in my buddy's car. I can feel the car shake a bit and hear noises under the car while the guy is doing stuff in the pits.

So in short, I'm kinda leaning towards Bill's second theory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire

29.gif

^ Exactly. I said the same thing way back in this thread.

The VVT-i now has a protective coat of varnish. Maybe next time you have the covers off hit the VVT-i and cams directly with some seafoam.

BTW great pics.

DSC05385.jpg

crazy2.gif
+1

Bill you sure know allot about how a iffy lube works and operates,proceedures, you must go there often to get service. Man you always have the "right" answer,
whistle.gif

I HAVE to take my work truck there a LOT. And sometimes I take other trucks there to get their oil changed.

We used to have our own state mechanics change oil but then someone up above decided that it was unfair to businesses to cut them out on the service so now we take the "normal" vehicles to Lube Centers (Work trucks up to 1 ton, Crown Vics, Tahoes and such) and the heavy duty stuff still gets done in "house".

I happen to pay attention to things around me (sorta my job) so I WATCH what they are doing.

Sorry if I state what I've seen and sorry that I'm trying to keep things real around here.

Whatever.... Who cares... Lets just slam everything here and spew whatever bias we have. Forget any facts...

Amazing.

you do that waay to often, members here im sure after reading up can make there own assumption on things there big boys

A LOT of those 'big boys' spew a LOT of garbage, nonesense and spin. this site USED to be a LOT more fact-based.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

29.gif

But don't you sit in the car at jiffy lube while they change your oil? You'd have to be pretty stupid to pay them for an oil change if you didn't hear them working under the hood and under the car. Changing the oil and over tightening a new oil filter. I was in the car at a Valvoline quick lube in my buddy's car. I can feel the car shake a bit and hear noises under the car while the guy is doing stuff in the pits.

So in short, I'm kinda leaning towards Bill's second theory.

Last time I was at a Jiffy Lube they had a tall lift instead of a lift and a pit. There's no way I'm staying in the car when it's 6+ ft in the air.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
whistle.gif

Amazing.

A LOT of those 'big boys' spew a LOT of garbage, nonesense and spin. this site USED to be a LOT more fact-based.

I agree, but one should take someones simple word on a subject? i don't i search and read up more then come to my own conclusion.

Why would someone else act like some Jiffy Lube they never went to is beyond charging for an oil change and not doing it? News channels have done stings and proven that a majority of them did not do the service they claimed. Just because the JL one happens to go to does a good job doesn't mean they all do.

We know we don't have proof beyond what the car owner said and I think a JL window sticker (which is pretty good proof) DUH. But we have no proof or "facts" that the car was not taken to the oil change place.

Anyway it's been proven that quick lube places don't always do the work they are payed to do. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the quick lube place saw the car was in before and no service was done, so they figured they could continue to get away with a fast one.

I don't think anyone has said that it has been proven beyond any doubt that JL did not change the oil they were paid to do, but the preponderance of evidence so far is that they did not.

Anyway I just find it annoying how some here demand "facts" but are short on facts themselves. Just because one person JL is great is not a fact that every and all are
21.gif

The only lesson one should learn from all of this is take your car where ever you go but act like you pay attention, and you want to know what is being done to it, even if you dont understand any of it.
Dont just drop the keys off and go watch the TV in the waiting room.

By paying attention to what is going on to your car you can easily see if they are doing their job right, and by looking like you know whats going on, they are less likely to pull a fast one on ya.

This goes for every oil change on the planet!

I am one of those that if someone is working on my car which BTW never happens, I am right there looking at every little detail.

So take your car wherever you are gonna take it, and pay attention to what is going on!!! Thats ALL!

As a rule of thumb use cheap oil with 3000K OCI, and more expensive one no more then 5000K OCI. By following these two simple rules you should have your engine last a life time of the car.

Now whats the chance that this little 1.8 is known for sludging? Any inputs on that? I know chrysler 2.7L V6 was a big problem... and I wonder if this has hidden problems as well.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Anyway I just find it annoying how some here demand "facts" but are short on facts themselves. Just because one person JL is great is not a fact that every and all are
21.gif

Tell me how I'm short on facts?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Catera

As a rule of thumb use cheap oil with 3000K OCI, and more expensive one no more then 5000K OCI. By following these two simple rules you should have your engine last a life time of the car.

Now whats the chance that this little 1.8 is known for sludging? Any inputs on that?

I've done 5k to 8k+ on what you call "cheap" oil. 165k and still going like new.

Not a sludge engine at all. Around 200k I'll take the cover off and check the valves and shoot a photo if I'm still here.

Bill

As said above. Jiffy Lube does not use Frams.

They would NOT RISK NOT CHANGING a oil filter.

I worked at a JL as a teenager..for all of 2 weeks. I quit the day the manager told me if a car came in with a JL oil filter (back then the oil filters were white with Jiffy Lube logo on them) to just use the spray cleaner and wipe it down to look new. So JL has not changed filters before. But I agree that they would not be dumb enough to leave a Fram on there when they don't use orange cans!

No one will change their mind based on anything but pure hard facts, and Bill is one of them. Bill is not coming off as a pure b-wipe, he is only trying to get his point across that the jiffy lube may not be responsible for this mess. As for this time I can't see any way that anything can be proof one way or another, most people already have their minds made up so you will have a hard time changing any of them even if you had hard evidence as to which place done the oil changes etc.

As to the oil any bulk oil meeting the latest specs ( I assume any shop running through enough oil changes to run out of filters) will keep your engine very clean even with abuse regarding OCI. The synthetics everyone seems to rave about may even do a better job of keeping an engine clean, however my point is the bulk oil even if it has no name should meet the latest specs, and the bulk oil/no name oil is not to blame here, nor the filter.

As to damage I don't see any !! I do see a sludge mess, however it's not that bad at all. It looks like you have removed a lot of it already, maybe over half.. I would not go chasing the sludge out with any chemical, abrasive, or even scraping unless it was a valve cover etc. I would not want any of the sludge breaking off clogging any gallery etc. This is a perfect time to spend the money on the synthetics advertised cleaning ability/abilities. I have seen gear boxes, and other various mechanical apparatus both in closed sealed environments, also open/semi in far worse shape than this with much higher tolerances, not to mention various mechanical valves, angle sensor/ and many other types of sensors that have the unsightly sludge, and varnish on them. This very seldom causes any problem, as a matter of fact it is never the main cause of any of the problems. My point is the sludge is many times just an eye sore, I know if it gets to bad it can cause problems, however I think we have went overboard on internal engine cleanliness.

Later on if she decides to get it changed herself or you get tired of changing her oil tell her to take it to Pepboys if there is one around. I took my car there when i first lived on campus(i had no way of changing my oil) and they used PYB and a proline(purolator) filter for $20 after my $13 mail in rebate, and have large windows to see whats-a-happening

Ugh, I know I've had to deal with the same thing before. I had to remind Wal-Mart to replace my oil filter three times. They seemed to be irritated that I was watching them so closely. I had no other option at the time and I'm never taking my truck there again!

Oh and I think I bought some A6 high beam projectors off of you from another forum two weeks ago Catera, lol. Small world.

What most seem to be losing sight of is that this isn't a thread about Jiffy Lube, or about whether women tell the truth, it's about a sludged Corolla and MMO.

Yes, I agree this engine doesn't look like it saw 5k OCIs. Or maybe it did and its PCV system and thermostat are both toast. Or maybe she added washer fluid to the crankcase - who knows.

I don't understand why people with no relation to the incident care so much about getting the woman to break down and admit she didn't change the oil, or are suggesting that the OP go to the Jiffy Lube and pose as someone else to bring up records on the plate. Or, worse, are suggesting that the owner cares enough about perpetuating a lie that she falsified Jiffy Lube service stickers. She isn't seeking to win a small claims court case or looking for compensation of any kind - people don't go to these lengths for nothing.

This is an oil forum, not a daytime drama. Help the guy clean up the sludge, enjoy the pictures, see what MMO does and give thanks it isn't your engine. Make your own choice about whether to take YOUR car to Jiffy Lube - it simply isn't the point of this thread, IMO, and there are already plenty of others about the trustworthiness of JL and similar establishments.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
What most seem to be losing sight of is that this isn't a thread about Jiffy Lube, or about whether women tell the truth, it's about a sludged Corolla and MMO.

Yes, I agree this engine doesn't look like it saw 5k OCIs. Or maybe it did and its PCV system and thermostat are both toast. Or maybe she added washer fluid to the crankcase - who knows.

I don't understand why people with no relation to the incident care so much about getting the woman to break down and admit she didn't change the oil, or are suggesting that the OP go to the Jiffy Lube and pose as someone else to bring up records on the plate. Or, worse, are suggesting that the owner cares enough about perpetuating a lie that she falsified Jiffy Lube service stickers. She isn't seeking to win a small claims court case or looking for compensation of any kind - people don't go to these lengths for nothing.

This is an oil forum, not a daytime drama. Help the guy clean up the sludge, enjoy the pictures, see what MMO does and give thanks it isn't your engine. Make your own choice about whether to take YOUR car to Jiffy Lube - it simply isn't the point of this thread, IMO, and there are already plenty of others about the trustworthiness of JL and similar establishments.

Craig go read the first post.

Then rethink this post....
smirk2.gif

And while you are at it, rethink one the reasons why this site was created and is THE REFERENCE of oil FACTS on the web. (I should have said WAS the way the board is going with all the bias/koolaid)

Oh no! I got the rolling eyes!

Read all of the posts FOLLOWING the first one calling the girl a liar and so forth.

I'm reading this thread for the posts about the sludge and how MMO is working, not the rest of the CNN style pontification about exposing who lied because 'a mystery is afoot' (which I think is getting a little out of hand).

FACT: there is sludge - multiple possible causes
FACT: he's using MMO and short OCIs to clean it up
FACT: I'd like to see how it turns out

Last edited:
i too would like to see the results of the MMO treatments.i would also like to thank the OP for his patience.i hope he will continue his posts on the engine this year.

just to let you guys know like few of you stated before jiffy lube,valvoline quickoil change places come to me for oil filters every day(i work at auto zone) and they ask for cheap filters (frams) and they probobly charge the customer the premium price for them... happens all day everyday.thats why most of us here change our own oil.no one cares about your car as much as you do,one of the people that i know works at jiffy lube and he told me few people that work there when they see that the customer had their last oil change done there with their filter half of the time they leave it on there with out even changing it. no [censored] just straigh talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back