2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 Limited slip diff shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year and a half ago, I installed a rebuilt LSD differential on a friends 2002 Ford explorer 4x4. It doesn't see any extreme stress. He regularly takes it to Ford for servicing, and supposedly Ford has been putting the right fluids in.

However recently, it has begin to shudder in turns, and now will not make complete U-turns, and gas mileage is down.

Should they switch to a different oil in the differential? Should they "try" something else to see if it will help the clutch pack to loosen up?

The word shutter to me means something in a transmission, but Lubegard makes something for limited slip diffs. check out lubegard.com

I dont know anything about how fords are set up or how there 4x4 system is set up but I know a lot about the chevys and there LS diff will shudder like crazy sometimes if you use a fluid without a LS additive or without GM LS additive. My blazer used to shudder very badly when it was new and i thought there was something major wrong with it. I put Mobil 1 75w90 in the rear diff upon advice i got on the blazer forum and sure enough with in 30 mins the shudder was gone. I change it out every 30 to 50 K miles with the M1 75w90 and the shudder has never come back. Its at about 190k miles now. Also worn out xfer case fluid in the auto 4x4 system can cause shuddering. Personally i would put new diff and xfer case fluid in it and see how it does.

replace the clutch pack and refill with XY-75W140-QL and XL3. do tons of these, only part that sucks is you have to drop the subframe to do it right.

The axles may be CV joints, but the center section is the same old 8.8 Traction-Lok unit that has been in service now for over 25 years.

Originally Posted By: tundrawolf
It's an IRS unit.

How difficult is it to remove the clutch pack? Do I need clearancing tools to do that?

So, there is nothing I can do oil-wise to "loosen" up the clutch pack?

Last edited:
it would be as if you are doing a full teardown of a diff. You shouldnt have to reset backlash since you are leaving the pinion gear in place and should be able to keep the shims separated, the rear end guy at my work hangs them on shock mounts so he knows where they go.

I asked our guys what they would charge labor wise to do it on a customer pay job and they all said 7-8 hours plus alignment depending on if they had to change any bearings.

Thank you very much for that reply. I might have to do that. Just for clarification, I am talking about the rear differential. (I only say that because you talk about alignment)

I looked that oil up, it is the oil that I have (Or Ford has been saying they are using) been using. Is the fault due to the clutch pack defects? Can I try another oil?

Also, where can I get another clutch pack?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
clutch pack from the dealer, if its an 8.8 you can get the carbon fibre clutches from teh Terminators that FRPP sells.

i say alignment because it is an IRS and there are camber and toe adjustments that fall out of adjustment when you lower the subframe.

Why not try fresh fluid with a good additional limited slip sauce ?
This may fix it and is 100 times easier.
It will be tough getting the new clutches out and in .

Add the friction modifier and with fresh diff fluid. Read note #6 below.

FluidCap3.jpg

I was able to get rid of the shudder in my in-laws diff in an 03 Explorer just by changing the fluid and adding a bottle of the XL-3 FM, but by the chunks of clutch pack in the old oil I think I just bought a little time before I have to replace the clutch packs. Hope it holds out till it get's warmer.

My brother in-law has an 04 Explorer and the pinion bearing is whining like a banshee, I will likely just do them both at the same time.

Anyone know how much the pinion bearing kit is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back