Worried about overfilling automatic transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am considering adding 8oz. of Lubegard Red to my current fill of ATF. The car is a Mazda3 with a 5 speed automatic. Will 8oz. over the factory fill be too much? I do not know how sensitive automatics are to a few more ounces of fluid, but I do know that too much can cause problems. So, will 8oz. more be something to worry about? Thanks for your input.

I have not checked it for a while now, so I would need to do that. Do I check it when the car is hot or cold? I do not remember.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
That won't hurt anything. Why are you adding an additive?

I have been reading good reviews about the Lubegard Red on here and other automotive forums. The auto trans in these cars are reported to have a jerky 1-2 shift and is well known on the Mazda3 forums. I have 19,000 miles on the factory fluid and it still looks great; nice and light pink color last time I checked.

I want to see if this can smooth out the 1-2 shift as well as the other shifts. If this can, it would be great. If not, I am planning to flush the trans around 25k-30k miles anyway. I figure it can't hurt to try it.

ever hear the phrase if it aint brok dont fix it??
Dont add anything to your oil or transmission fluid the oil companies spend millions to formulate their oils..Im in the engine rebuilding business and i always tell my customers if they add anything but motor oil that is the minute the guarantee expires..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Dont add anything to your oil or transmission fluid the oil companies spend millions to formulate their oils..Im in the engine rebuilding business and i always tell my customers if they add anything but motor oil that is the minute the guarantee expires..

But they can run that motor oil to 15,000 miles and be ok?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

I think it'd be alot better if you gave them a list of additives that are approved. Unless you really think that the hoards of people on here using MMO, for example, are not as intelligent as the statement you are making infers.

I would not add anything, just do a drain and fill with Castrol Import ATF (that's what I have) or go synthetic. My car doesn't have the shift shock, when the car is cold, the shifts are a bit harder, but it's not that pronounced, when the car is warm, the shifts are good.

The shifts are not butter smooth, like in some other bigger cars, and they do firm up quite a bit under harder acceleration, but that's how the transmission was programmed and there is no additive that will change that.

Last edited:
Lubeguard works, I can tell from recent firsthand experience, it made a big difference in the shift performance both when cold, and when warm. Very tangibly smoother, especially under heavier acceleration

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Your Mazda will burp excess ATF out of the dipstick tube, it makes a mess.

That is something I am worried about, but is 8oz. enough to cause that? It is only 1/4 of a quart.

It will burp as you add, if your going to add that additive. Just pour very very slow and let it catch up. Probally with the engine running as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back