2000- Ford 7.3 , hi copper

Status
Not open for further replies.
All late 99-03 7.3 have compressor surge with a chip and aftermarket intake. The housing is just way too small at a .84. A 1.0 will cure the surge issue and lower his drive pressure from around 1.64 to 1.30.

DieselTech,

I'm not arguing with you and I could be wrong in this situation, but I have not seen many 7.3L UOA reports that have been related to copper core leaching. I have quite a few on the duramax and a cuople of CAT motors - showing copper in the 200-400 ppm range.

Couldn't the copper be related to something else?

I have seen quite a few cooler leach copper oxide. Reallty there are not many items in the 7.3 that contain copper. I don't believe the Amsoil bypass system uses copper fittings on their kits. I feel if the turbo was coming apart or had a bearing issue other wear metals would be high aswell. This points me directly to the cooler.

The only other item it could be would be an injector cups. They are the only other high copper content item

Last edited:
I made up my own by-pass with brass fittings and aluminum filter block. Could the copper be coming from the brass fittings?

I could change oil and remove it to see if there is a difference.

I have a blast of blue smoke when I start up. Somebody said it could be oil leaking in the injectors?

Last edited:
Try taking the bypass off and see what it does in 5k.

Is the smoke on startup only when cold? There are alot of items that cause this with a 7.3. Low batteries, glow plug relay, glow plugs and yes injectors leaking.

Are you using any fuel additives currently?

It's quite normal for 7.3 to do that especially during winter. I don't believe this has anything to do with your issue of high copper readings. If your truck has a block heater, p,lug it in for 1 night and see if it still smokes the next morning. I'm willing to bet you have some weak glowplugs or batteries

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
It's quite normal for 7.3 to do that especially during winter. I don't believe this has anything to do with your issue of high copper readings. If your truck has a block heater, p,lug it in for 1 night and see if it still smokes the next morning. I'm willing to bet you have some weak glowplugs or batteries

So you are running Redline in your 7.3L. I have only ran into one other person that has, any chance you have a UOA that you would like to share? I have wanted to try Redline in my 7.3L but at $40 per gallon I have been a little hesitant.

Yes I have redline in my 7.3. I'll be taking a sample this OCI. I just built the engine and it has about 8k on it now. I may even wait one more so it will break in a little more. It's mainy a toy and pushes ALOT of fuel so my OCI will be fairly short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back