THE ULTIMATE 0W-40 OIL? Mobil 1 ==VS== Red Line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Bob,

Oil is going up and electronics going down. By the time you hit 100k a 50 inch should be 200 dollars...LOL

Last time I purchased Mobil 1 0-40 at Shucks...it was six and a half bucks and no tax over in Oregon. Redline was about eleven bucks a quart shipped. I was thinking about 7K OCI for Redline and 10K for Mobil 1.

Take care,

LCM

Redline is Group V ester-based synthetic; about 40% ester, as I understand it.

Ester-based oils stick to the insides of engines, as the molecules are negatively charged. Engines are positively charged.

Hence, the engine is not dry on initial start-up.

Mobil 1 does have a little ester in it, as I understand it; but not much. Recently I took off a valve cover of an engine on M1. The inside of the valve cover was dry.

But when I did this with Motul (almost pure Grp V) the cover was coated with a thick layer of oil.

So, advantage Redline, IMHO.

Quote:

as the molecules are negatively charged. Engines are positively charged.

Not exactly. Polarity is the uneven distribution of electric force in a molecule. Water is polar, but it is not "charged" The effect is the same as what you indicated, however.

Probably incredibly advanced stuff, but made for a different purpose. The ESP means "Emissions System Protection." It's designed for certain kinds of vehicles with highly sensitive emissions systems, so it runs low on certain additives to prevent certain kinds of byproducts. For example, look at the TBN of that oil (7.7). That's pretty low!

If your car doesn't call for an oil like ESP, you're probably better off not using it. The regular stuff will run longer and might protect better.

D1 ESP 0w40 is similar to D1 ESP 5w40 (HDEO), nothing like M1 0w40 (PCMO).

d00df00d, D1 ESP 0w40 is CJ-4 like all recent HDEOs. It's also SM for sparkers. (no ILSAC rating, so it's got high levels of ZDDP)

So how is M1 vs RL those days ... ?
After Mobil1 switched to Visom/GTL

If you track, and if you are doing sub-7.5k OCI, Redline will be better in my experience, although anecdotal. This is specifically in regards to BMW engines, wwhich rely on oil pressure, and cleanliness of the engine, for the VANOS and rockers to function properly, amongst other things.

That, and the anti wear aspect of Redline is nothing short of astonishing.

Red Line used to KILL the M1 product on VI (197 to what, 188), besides the much more potent AW/AF add pack, but lower TBN.

But with RL's reformulations, that has dropped it down to a much more even 190 vs. 187 for the M1.
frown.gif

I wonder why they reformulated...

I can buy RL 0w40 almost at the same price as M1 0w40 in Canada.
Yes in US M1 is a lot cheaper at WM.

Only thing that holds me back is the A40 certification ... but I don't think I should worry about that because RL is top notch.

There are few who would question RL's quality.

But the real question is can it provide a real benefit. Unless you spend lots of time at the road course you are likely to find it is not cost effective.

That ole M1 0w-40 is on my cap, and this engine has seen 300 degree oil temps at road course events many times. The oil was never the problem...

Originally Posted By: Ndx
So how is M1 vs RL those days ... ?
After Mobil1 switched to Visom/GTL

Visom is not GTL.

My guess (as far as the VI is concerned at least) is that they took even more of the older style VIIs they were using out of ALL of their oils which had ANY of them added to begin with, and tried to make up for it somewhat with base stock blending.

I would have preferred for them to just use MORE of the newest, latest/greatest shear stable VIIs to make a sky high VI oil with their GREAT robust add pack and very good base stocks (at least in their non-racing, 0W-xx street oils).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

My guess (as far as the VI is concerned at least) is that they took even more of the older style VIIs they were using out of ALL of their oils which had ANY of them added to begin with, and tried to make up for it somewhat with base stock blending.

I would have preferred for them to just use MORE of the newest, latest/greatest shear stable VIIs to make a sky high VI oil with their GREAT robust add pack and very good base stocks (at least in their non-racing, 0W-xx street oils).
wink.gif

Visom has a naturally high VI, so they simply don't need as many VIIs.

wink.gif

What's "great" about their additive pack? Maybe my knowledge is out of date, but all I've ever seen is really high levels of ZDDP and/or moly...

Originally Posted By: dparm

wink.gif

Visom has a naturally high VI, so they simply don't need as many VIIs.

I was answering his question about why Red Line has reformulated their oils (or at least revised the spec sheets), NOT why M1 has reformulated.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

What's "great" about their additive pack? Maybe my knowledge is out of date, but all I've ever seen is really high levels of ZDDP and/or moly...

Good boron and calcium levels as well, but is it the new super duper, double secret, ultra proprietary, unknown/unseen AW/AF add packs of some of the 'on the shelf' majors, NO.
wink.gif

Redline blends awesome lubricants and they've proven themselves to many on the track.
M1 0w-40 has a shopping list of certs that could very well be the most certified oil on earth.
Now let's consider cost. Here redline costs double the M1,does that mean its twice as good. Possibly.
Do I need an oil that good,therefore making the extra cost a prudent choice,no.
Both are quality products but redline in a dd is like a sledgehammer for cabinet making.
I'd use redline exclusively if cost wasn't a factor however when I can buy pp and qsud for 22 bucks a jug I just cannot justify paying 5 times more for an oil change.
But I do love their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back