ATF for a 2005 mercury sable

Status
Not open for further replies.
the recommended fluid is motorcraft mercon v(it is a synthetic blend). But since atf is difficult to change(compared with engine oil). I decide to go full synthetic. I have mobil 1 in mind, also does motorcraft has a fully synthetic mercon v?

or any other brands of full synthetic mercon v you prefer?

Thank you!

I do not believe Motorcraft has a full synthetic ATF, just a semi synthetic at this time.

Amsoil ATF and Redline D4 meet the Mercon V specs, I am using Amsoil ATF in my 2004 Mercury Marauder.

Amsoil ATF. Been running it in Ford, Dodge and GM transmissions for 15 years and it holds up excellent. Been running it in 96 and 98 Taurus AX4N transmissions as well.

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Sable. I use Motorcraft Mercon V. Change it every 25,000 miles. Performs very well. I also added a trans fluid cooler just after I purchased the vehicle.

I started using M1 ATF when they first came out with it in the early 90s in Fords. To date no tranny failures or PS Pumps to replace.

how much more expensive is amsoil compared with mobil 1? do they have same change interval(30k miles)?

Thank you guys!

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable
how much more expensive is amsoil compared with mobil 1? do they have same change interval(30k miles)?

Thank you guys!

When you replace your regular Mercon V with synthetic, go 60,000 miles between AT Flushes.

Thank you guys!

I'm sure Ams ATF is a great ATF, but I go 40K in my Fords with M1 ATF and the fluid still looks good.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Thank you guys!

I'm sure Ams ATF is a great ATF, but I go 40K in my Fords with M1 ATF and the fluid still looks good.

oh yeah, great, and M1 ATF is available at walmart but amsoil is difficult to find?

Originally Posted By: tig1
To my knowledge M1 ATF isn't sold at WM, but can be purchased at AAP or AZ.

Ok, maybe what I saw were engine oils..

oh yeah, great, and M1 ATF is available at walmart but amsoil is difficult to find?

You can have Amsoil delivered to your door.

I think Amsoil is 50K for severe service and 100K for non severe use.

I have changed it anywhere from 40k to 85K. The 85K transmission is a Dodge Caravan of my Dad's that I installed a rebuilt transmission. I put the transmission in with a Magnifine filter and filled the dry transmission with the Amsoil ATF. So it went through the break in and all the way to 85K. When I changed it it still had a good red color to it and the trans filter and Magnifine filter were very clean.

Valvoline Mercon V... Website states its a full synthetic...

Use it, save money (Amsoil?) and replace every 30,000 to 40,000 or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
When I used the Valvoline I thought it was a partial syn? But that was about 7-8 years ago.

I would go with a full Syn Amsoil, Mobil 1 etc.

Valvoline decided to make their Mercon V a full syn in 2007.

It is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back