Valvoline MaxLife Syn vs. Mobil 1 High Mileage Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you recommend? Car is a 1999 Malibu with 151,000+ miles on her. Car is driven on highway and in stop and go city traffic, no significant leaks as far as I can tell, and the car runs strong. Which of these oils will condition the seals best, and which has the better additive pack? Price really isn’t a factor in the situation; I just want to know your opinions.

Thanks

Yodash89

It's a tough call. I really like the looks of the M1 HM.

I know the normal response here is you can't go wrong with either, but you can't go wrong with either.

I would use the Maxlife semi syn blend in your car. Great add pack and only around $15 for 5 quarts at Walmart. I have used both of the oils you mentioned and they work well. Really not sure if they would be any better in your application then the reg Maxlife blend.

Valvoline Maxlife.....5w30 SYN should work well in your climate. If cost is a factor,use MaxLife Blend.

I've be using it for several changes now and am completely satisfied. I'm sure that Mobil is a good product as well.

NOTE: Be sure you use an upper tier oil filter such as a Purolator PureOne of Bosch Prem. You can have the best oil in the world and a cheap filter, and you'll negate the great oil you have in your vehicle....
Redline Sl-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would use the Maxlife semi syn blend in your car. Great add pack and only around $15 for 5 quarts at Walmart. I have used both of the oils you mentioned and they work well. Really not sure if they would be any better in your application then the reg Maxlife blend.

+1

Thanks for the opinions guys. I do use purolator filters and although most would ague wasteful, I change the oil out every 3 to 4 thousand. I like the synthetic regardless of the cost ratio. Looks like Valvoline HM synthetic is going to be the next fill. Robust additive packs, and synthetics, as silly as it is, put me at ease. Keep the opinions coming if you desire.

Thanks

Yodash89

I haven't used the other oils, but M1 HM is an outstanding oil good for 10K OCI with no problems.

I haven't used the other oils, but M1 HM is an outstanding oil good for 10K OCI with no problems.

I read somewhere that the Maxlife full syn is actually their Synpower product with additional adds like more detergents and seal conditioners.

I'm running this stuff in the wife's 02 Forester. So far so good.

I'm also running Maxlife ATF in the tranny. Car has about 107k on the clock.

Originally Posted By: yodash89
Thanks for the opinions guys. I do use purolator filters and although most would ague wasteful, I change the oil out every 3 to 4 thousand. I like the synthetic regardless of the cost ratio. Looks like Valvoline HM synthetic is going to be the next fill. Robust additive packs, and synthetics, as silly as it is, put me at ease. Keep the opinions coming if you desire.

Thanks

Yodash89

With a 4k mile OCI I'd say go wit MaxLife Semi-Synthetic. Check out the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) section of the forum. For the first 4-5k miles there really isn't a difference between conventional and synthetics unless there's extreme cold, heat, or other severe factors. So I don't think a full synthetic is going to protect your engine any better with a 4k mile OCI.

That being said, if you're more comfortable with it, then obviously do what lets you rest easier at night.

If your using MaxLife Syn and a Pureolator PureOne filter, you would just be wasteing time and money (also oil) to do 3-4000 OCI's.

MaxLife will go alot further and so will the PureOne. Shoot for 7,000 to 7,5000 OCI's and save your time and $$$....
Redline SL-1 Complete Fuel Sys Cleaner

According to Ashland, Valvoline invented the High Mileage oil. Apparently these oils do have extra seal conditioners that work to help restore and prevent seal aging. I used to think it was all marketing, but Valvoline lead me to believe there is chemistry behind it.

If I'm not mistaken, seal compatibility is another improvement with GF-5.

I don't know what/if any seal additive Mobil is using. I have always thought that running a good synthetic oil should keep engines in good shape by keeping the engine clean. Esters also help. My brother's Toyota V6 with 220k miles on it developed a seal leak and Mobil 1 HM stopped it. He used regular Mobil 1 from 37k-190k.

I've been debating on switching over to one of these oils.

I would use M1HM. But why are you using an HM oil if your engine is not consuming any oil? If you are wanting to remove sludge then I would definitely use M1. Otherwise why not run a standard Synthetic since you change oil so often?

Thank you again for all the replies. Not to bring this back from the dead however, Valvoline has a rebate offer going at the moment and just wanted to make sure everyone knew about it. I think you just have to register your vehicle through their website and you can get the printable PDF rebate form.

Thanks again,

Yodash89

I have AGONIZED over thsi exact same thing.

IN THE BLUE CORNER: Mobil 1 -FULL SYNTHETIC- High Mileage.. Oooo. Aaaaah.

WALMART: $23 for 5 QUARTS...
POINTS FOR: Name and Reputation.
API SERVICE: SL.

IN THE RED CORNER! Valvoline MaxLife -FULL SYNTHETIC!!!-

WALMART: $22 for 5 Quarts ($15 for Blend, but Full Synthetic is alluring to me.. cant go werong, and why not.)
POINTS FOR: Name, Reptation.. AND Additive Pack of MaxLife, HIGHLY acclaimed.. AND ORIGINAL High Mileage Oil in BLEND!!
API SERVICE: -SM-

Based on this.. I choose MaxLife. Particularly if yo uhave been using MaxLife SB already.

This i have thought, over, and over, and Over...

I would be more suspicious of M1, as it seems to be more "High Performance" (Corvette, Porsche, etc) and less "High Mileage" Reputation.

49.gif

Oh, and PS: They had Full Synthetic in 5W-30.. M1 HM in only 10W-30 and 10W-40. V ML FS in all three grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back