What is a good high temp dry lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a high temperature dry film lubricant. Preferably a type that is applied by drip or brush, but spray can also be used. I just don't want spray going on things I don't want coated. The operating temp range is 500*F to 1000*F, but most likely it wont see temps above 800*F. Some lubrication is needed at room temp. Some sources say Moly isn't used above 600*F. Silicone and Teflon are out. There use to by some stuff for lubing motorcycle clutch cables. Any recommendations?

Sounds like a job for graphite. Not sure about applying it. Maybe some of the lock stuff that is graphite in a carrier.

There's a stuff called Neo-Lube that is graphite in isopropyl alcohol (also a version of it that is molybdenum disulfide in isopropyl alcohol). I don't know who sells it. It is made by Huron Industries, Port Huron, MI.

Ceramlub is a ceramic base that is rated for 2000F+. They sell it for brakes but it's really an anti-seize. It's like a grease but when subjected to high heat it drys out.

+1 for Neo-Lube. not only is it a vital part of the US Navy's steam valve maintenance program
34.gif
, it's also fantastic for coating exposed threads on the underside of most any vehicle and all kinds of farm equipment.

maybe not so good for use at 800F though. Huron shows a service temp of 400F with intermittent temp of 850F. often times these types of specs are conservative to overly-conservative. i've tried it on header bolts before without much success. it looks nice for a while, but it eventually flakes off. turned to high temp (2600F) antisieze with much better results.

What sort of lubrication are you seeking up that high ?

Like tempest says, there are a lot of high temp anti-siezes that provide lubrication. But probably not in an active manner (i.e. set and forget reciprocating stuff).

Steam turbine pedestals use a high solids grease, that functions from room temp to 650F (ish), and is working most of the time with turbine expansions during load changes. Applied every 6-12 weeks.

Anti seize type products are used up to 100F in my experience, and 1350F on some of the more modern plants.

The roller belts on MDF presses use another high temp, high solids drip feed lube, for continuous rolling element high pressure apps, that's pretty non flammable, non staining. Not very dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back