Hyper-Lube oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about the Hy-per Lube ZRA Additive? Their oil supplement is not clear. I have not used the ZRA but according to the label is has esters which is interesting. A guy at a local auto parts store told me it is good stuff, they got some in I guess and sold out of it....lol

I used a product called Hyper-Lube when I lived in Columbus, Ohio in the eighties and nineties. The product claims to have--at least the one I used claime to have--jojoba oil in it.

There were a couple of formulas available, one "regular" and one "premium" (the Premium cost a buck more per quart). Bought the product at Meirs (Meyers?) in Dublin, Ohio.

It sure SEEMED to work in my 4-banger 1988 Acura integra. I used it in the manual transmission (shifted smooth as silk after that) and a little less than a quart in the oil. Like I seem, engine was smoother, and it sure seemed like I got a little better acceleration.

Supposedly, jojoba oil is pretty slippery. Maybe one of the resident tribologists can chime in on it's chemistry.

Maybe using it in the oil helped balance the compression between cylinders so it SEEMED more powerful. I know it was definitely smoother, quieter, and shifted slicker than (fill in the blank), even in below zero weather.

Originally Posted By: Durango
postjeeprcr,

No this stuff is clear liquid in a small bottle.

Just wondering.

Durango

That's what post was saying, that this stuff (Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive) is the ONLY clear Hy-per Lube product in a small bottle.

It does sound interesting. I just read on their site that it contains NO ZDDP at all! (I thought it was just another ZDDP additive, like Red Line's/RP's/etc. when I'd seen it on Pep Boys' shelf.)

I'm going to call their tech dept. and see if they'll tell me whats in it (and not just cop-out with the tired, old standard, "proprietary info" response) besides said esters.
Boron, maybe???

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Durango
postjeeprcr,

No this stuff is clear liquid in a small bottle.

Just wondering.

Durango

That's what post was saying, that this stuff (Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive) is the ONLY clear Hy-per Lube product in a small bottle.

It does sound interesting. I just read on their site that it contains NO ZDDP at all! (I thought it was just another ZDDP additive, like Red Line's/RP's/etc. when I'd seen it on Pep Boys' shelf.)

I'm going to call their tech dept. and see if they'll tell me whats in it (and not just cop-out with the tired, old standard, "proprietary info" response) besides said esters.
Boron, maybe???

Let us know what you find out.

The tech called back today, and said that this stuff contains NO; ZDDP (we already knew that), moly (in ANY form), boron, antimony, calcium, or any other 'typical' anti-wear, anti-corrosion type elements/compounds.

He stated that it was just pure friction reducing, anti-wear esters (he did not, nor would not say what type of esters), made to act as (and take the place of) the above sacrificial elements (especially ZDDP for older flat tappet designs) would.

I wonder if it is the same esters as in the Lube Gard engine oil supplement??

I wonder if jojoba oil contains, or can be, "esterized" to produce a low friction additive. I clearly remember seeing jojoba oil mentioned on the hyperlube products i used.

They also showed a with and without comparative horsepower comparison over the idle to 7 or 8k rpm range, with a clear advantage throughout the rpm range for the addition of the hyperlube. IIRC, the standard product showed about a 4 hp consistent gain throughout the range, and the premium product showed a 7 or 8 hp gain throughout that same range. And this for a 4 cylinder engine of about 2 liters or so.

This was 20 years ago, so I don't have an empty container to post a piture of ("BAD BITOGER, no photo!).

Probably hyperlube.com or something of the sort.

Maybe dailydriver could follow-up with the tech dept to inquire about the possible jojoba connection. I know the product clearly made a difference in my 1988 Acura Integra 5sp.

I have talked briefly to Molakule about this product and he said they are olefin copolymer esters. I mixed some stuff in a bottle and it did something I had never seen before, so I sent him a pic. I do not know this but I would think it is different esters then in LubeGard.

Also the jojoba is in the "racing" version of the supplement which from labels seems exactly like the regular stuff except for the jojoba.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I have talked briefly to Molakule about this product and he said they are olefin copolymer esters. I mixed some stuff in a bottle and it did something I had never seen before, so I sent him a pic. I do not know this but I would think it is different esters then in LubeGard.

Also the jojoba is in the "racing" version of the supplement which from labels seems exactly like the regular stuff except for the jojoba.

"I mixed some stuff in a bottle and it did something I had never seen before, so I sent him a pic."

So what exactly did this stuff do that surprised you so much that you took a picture and sent it to Molakule? Like I said, I've used it, and felt it was worth it, so I'd be interested in what you have to say on this!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: axjohn
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

"I mixed some stuff in a bottle and it did something I had never seen before, so I sent him a pic."
So what exactly did this stuff do that surprised you so much that you took a picture and sent it to Molakule? Like I said, I've used it, and felt it was worth it, so I'd be interested in what you have to say on this!

Thanks.

Was the stuff you used the Racing Supplement or was it the ZRA stuff? The stuff that surprised me was the ZRA, and it was informative why it congealed, lack of dispersants in the additive and what I mixed it with. I will have to look for the pic, when I find it I will show you.

I just saw the ZRA at pep boys when looking for MT gear lube. It was crystal clear/transparent in a clear bottle with a big ZINC on the label (and a small replacement under the zinc) and said on the back it contained polymer esters and NO converter damaging additives. I think it also said it could show 4x less cam wear than traditionl ZDDP additives. I think it was 15 bucks a pint or less $$$.

HY-perlube ZRA AD
HPZ212.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's what we are talking about. ^^^

Just waiting on post's pics to see the funny reaction this stuff had in solution (even though the label claims it is miscible/compatable with EVERYTHING out there (including other ester based synthetic oils).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, that's what we are talking about. ^^^

Just waiting on post's pics to see the funny reaction this stuff had in solution (even though the label claims it is miscible/compatable with EVERYTHING out there (including other ester based synthetic oils).

Post the picture!

I can add a little bit to what has been posted before.

This product appears to be made out of Ketjenlube 135. If you download the MSDS from hyperlube's website, the title of the pdf (under file--->properties) states "9233 KETJENLUBE® 135 (English (US)) AKZO USA"

Ketjenlube is a brand name, and Akzo is the manufacturer.

It's quite viscous. It's briefly described in passing in U.S. Patent Application Publication No. 20090163393, which states:
"[0049]In one embodiment, the ester base stock for use herein is "Ketjenlube 135" a butanol ester of an α-olefin maleic acid copolymer having an Mn of 1800 and a viscosity of 35 cSt at 100° C."

There was some brief discussion about Ketjenlube 135 earlier here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1173617

Other: I saw some comments about Ketjenlube 230, which is described as a low polar version of Ketjenlube 135 for better compatibility, which obviously means that K 135 might not be that compatible with everything.

I will guess that it's probably a good product but expensive, probably does what it purports to do (for how long, I have no idea), and will make your oil more viscous, which can be bad if you're someplace really cold. I'm curious enough to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back