Computer reset after trans fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on another forum that you need to disconnect the battery after changing out the transmission fluid in your vehicles. I have never heard this to be necessary and I know the internet can be filled with a lot of bovine fecal matter, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Below is the copied and pasted explanation given on the other forum. It sounds legit, but I have never heard about anyone doing it.

Quote:
"The computer reset is required because the transmission learns how much the fluid allows the clutches to slip and compensates for it. Without resetting this it will assume the old fluid characteristics and use pressures/duty cycles based on that which may burn out your clutches quicker."

Amsoil has a TSB about Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge transmissions (TSB: DT-2008-10-02). According the Amsoil TSB, the disconnecting the battery terminal won't fix the problem on the affected Chrysler transmissions.

Before I was aware of the issue, I thought I was going to need a rebuild, after a fluid change, last year. Eventually the shifting corrected itself, but I hate to think about the beating my clutches took those few months.

After a change on the affected transmissions, the Transmission Control Module needs to be flashed or set to quick learn. (Translation: pay the stealership more money, unless you own the OEM scan tool)

All I know is the people on the crown vic forum claim it is essential to reset the computer after fluid changes. They have a lot of knowledgeable folks over there too. I can't see taking the chance in them being wrong.

I'd do it, after a rebuild my Chrysler had to be set to quicklearn so it would rapidly adjust settings the first few miles then tweak as usual from there on out. A fluid change CAN make it shift differently so if you change brands I'd just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and make it relearn as usual from it's base settings. Work wonders for when you change drivers or after an autocross when the car is thinking you're still andretti.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
All I know is the people on the crown vic forum claim it is essential to reset the computer after fluid changes. They have a lot of knowledgeable folks over there too. I can't see taking the chance in them being wrong.

Edit- nevermind...OP never said he was changing his fluid either.

Some of the newer vehicles retain the learned shift programming and require a tool to reset (Volvo for one and some Fords)

Last edited:
I think it is a good idea to rest the memory after a fluid change. Some cars will rest if the battery is unhooked for several minutes.

I reset the ECU after oil and ATF change. Its not required, but it will force the computer to relearn and adjust.

i have done it on vehicles after a atf exchange. i touch the battery cables together after they are disconnected. this is suppose to clear any learned memory. mike

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Is this for specific makes/models or all vehicles?

for vehicles with addaptive transmissions. ones that "learn" the drivers style.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: bigmike
Is this for specific makes/models or all vehicles?

for vehicles with addaptive transmissions. ones that "learn" the drivers style.
Does a 95 Camry fall into this category?

The computer will reset by itself.
A battery disconnect will allow a 'start from scratch' .
But it is not necessary for a trans fluid change.
There could be minor adjustments .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back