'99 Acura 3.5RL Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got a new car over the weekend and I need to decide what oil to put in it.

1. What kind of vehicle you have? 1999 Acura 3.5RL (C35A1, 3.5L V6)

2. What your owner's manual says? API SJ Energy Conserving 5w30, on a 7500mi/12mo interval

3. Where you live? Cleveland, OH

4. How you drive? Easy, and on rare occasion moderately (its no sports car).

5. What your daily drive is like? I commute M-F, 8mi one way, all city driving.

6. Whether your car has any known problems? No known problems, but i just bought it used. It has 120k mi on it, fill hole looks normal for the age.

I'd prefer a synthetic oil, and I've used GC 0w30 for the last few cars I've had. I'm leaning towards continuing that. I know that the more recent Hondas spec 20wt oil and I wouldn't be opposed to giving a good 0w20 a try.

The C series V6 is a strange beast. If it were mine I probably would go with a 30 weight with something in the 5000~ish mile OCI maybe the full 7500. GC sounds like a good plan.

Well, it's a 90 degree v6 which is odd to begin with. But also, every configuration was different. Towards the end it was only in this app and also the NSX supercar. It's a good engine, but un-characteristically Honda every application was different. So it's probably better that unlike current Acuras where the Accord/Odyssey engine is shoved into the RL... you get one that somebody spent some time on designing it for a luxury car. The downside to that is when you get a deal on a NSX or late 90's TL, things won't be as familiar as you expect.

Last edited:
bepperb- gotcha. appreciate those tidbits.

anyone have an idea as whether 20wt would be fine to run? or would it get too beat up with my commute? i guess i could always stick with GC.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run 20wt. in this car.

I'm no expert on them, but it 'seems' like Honda V-6's are much harder on oil that the 4-cylinders - TBN goes down really fast on all of them.

I'd stick with a 30-weight synthetic, and the GC you are planning on using sounds perfect - it's a pretty stout oil. I'd do a 7500-mile interval on it, and maybe see how it does with a UOA.

Agree with others - GC would probably work fine here, unless you really want to follow the manual and use Energy Conserving oil. If so, I'd take a look at Edge 5w-30 or PP 5w-30, maybe even the new PU 5w-30.

hmm... that pennzoil ultra looks pretty intriguing. although i don't care for the marketing strategy (but it seems everyone is doing it). maybe i'll give it a try.

I have 2000 civic I run PYB 5w-30 and a Pure one oil filter.

OCI 4,800-5,000

Andy

You should fill it with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and get back to us on how well it cleans.
wink.gif

so i wanted to try something different. i decided i'm going to give RLI 0w20 a try. i wanted to give them a shot since they're a local company (just down in akron) and i wanted to try a 20wt. we'll see how it goes. maybe i'll try getting some analysis too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back