Lube for suspension bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of lube do you guys use for suspension bushings, like sway bar bushings etc? I usually just use spray can of silicone based lubricant. I was wonder what type is best for these rubber suspension parts.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What kind of lube do you guys use for suspension bushings, like sway bar bushings etc? I usually just use spray can of silicone based lubricant. I was wonder what type is best for these rubber suspension parts.
..Australian or Japanese "red rubber" grease (castor Bean oil)..unfortunately only comes in paste form

For polyurethane bushings, silicone spray is OK, silicone grease (often sold as "dielectric grease") is even better and usually comes with the bushings.

For regular rubber bushings, I'd stick with the old mechanic's trick of hitting them with soapy water (and I mean SOAP, not dish detergent or shampoo), or else a powdered dry lubricant- usually called "graphite" but its mostly molybdenum disulfide.

I'm mostly dealing with OEM style rubber bushings. The bushing will be good but sometimes the salt and corrosion gets to them and sometimes there are TSBs to lube them. I was looking for a lube for this besides the OEM type. It helps if it can be sprayed on because of access. I thought silicone grease was best for rubber?

This what GM recommends for stabilizer shafts bushings and other suspension and drivetrain areas High-temperature grease but the price is outrageous. What would be equivalent to it? Graphite grease?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
This what GM recommends for stabilizer shafts bushings and other suspension and drivetrain areas High-temperature grease but the price is outrageous. What would be equivalent to it? Graphite grease?

The Wurth Rubber Care spray is great stuff, albeit almost as pricey (per weight/volume) as the above.
frown.gif

Does anyone have info about using commonly available greases. What about regular NLGI #2 chassis grease? It doesn't harm rubber right, since it is used for ball joints with rubber boots? It's not available in an aresol though. I know silicon/dielectric grease is good for rubber weatherstripping. I think white lithium grease is most for metal to to metal lubrication. I need a refresher on grease.

Real sway bar grease is rare, but the best. Super thick and sticky.
I use moly chassis grease. I have tried all sorts of stuff. Forget teflon tape or silicone spray. Very temporary.

For a sway bar busing, many come with grooves or sipes.
A better way is to dimple the insides like a golf ball. This creates retaining holes for grease. Use a dremel tool or whatever to make a bunch of little divots. Don't go crazy with a jillion divots, though.
This really works well! It is worth the 2 minutes to do!

WD-40 Penetrating oil would that be good for under car rubber bushings{ NOT } that regular WD-40 for moister removal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back