One more Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Looks like the thing that crimps the media together also failed. Some unfiltered oil is getting through. At least you have good oil flow.

Looking at it closely, I don't believe the crimp failed. It looks like the pleat nearest to the crimp was spread apart widely. The bottom of that pleat is glued where it should be.

Still, it doesn't look good.

I didn't have my camera yesterday, so took that one with the phone. I'm taking my camera today to get some better pics, but basically, it was a toyota pickup, valve train made tons of noise.
From what I saw quickly the metal seal did not fail, but the pleat next to it collapsed against it, almost pulling the it off the cardboard. The plastic relief valve moves, but i nave no way of checking the pressure here.
It was, however the first fram I've seen where the end caps were centered and covered the edges of the tube to seal

BTW: in my new site I've concentrated many of the pics of filters I've cut or look interesting
http://www.widman.biz/English/Filters/filters_cut.html

Wow, glad I stopped using them. I'm not a basher, but it isn't very hard to find a filter better than a Fram filter. If the general public knew half of what we know here, Fram wouldn't be a top seller of oil filters.

Originally Posted By: labman
Could we have some details? Is this like the Ecore that collapsed in the crate engine with the blocked off bypass? No friend of Fram here, but try to be objective.

I've been looking for that thread for weeks.

32.gif

OK....back on topic.

Dont see a problem - looks like there was some cleanup going on in the engine or MMO used to facilitate cleanup. That oil looks horrendous/ black and oxidised. No oil sghould look like that at 2k in a properly functioning engine. An Oil problem primarily.

I does seem like Fram may get an unfair shake. How do they get away with marketing a product that is portrayed to be so inferior? Are there any occations that other brands exibit the same short falls.

More details. I had more time this morning, but I haven't had time to post the pics yet.

It says on the can "made in USA" and "Not intended for sale in the US", listing distributors in Canada and Mexico. Are those the markets Fram sells the junk to?

I bent back the pleats and found enough metal shavings to scare you. So at least some got caught eventually. i can see why they don't want this in a market with so many lawyers.

don't get me wrong-I appreciate the filter pics from you neck of the woods, but quite honestly, all the filtert pics you post are pretty ugly-regardless of the brand

Yeah, something is 'not right' here.....

We've recently seen a pic of a Fram w/25k on it that didn't look that bad at all. The fact that it says 'not for sale in US' tells me this is a filter built to lesser '3rd world' specs, so it's not fair to paint all Frams with that brush. But you can keep trying.

Like I've said in previous post, combine a lower-quality filter, with group-1 based 20W-50, and a dusty/dirty climate, and you're going to have a slurry running through an engine that will wreck ANY filter.

If this was done with a US-spec filter, API SM oil, and a properly sealed airbox, it would not look like this. So NOT a fair comaparison!!!

It is clear something is wrong here. Did the failure of the filter lead to the shavings, the black oil, and other problems, or did something else cause them and the filter failure.

''I've been looking for that thread for weeks.'' Best I can do is assure you it exists. I think when the Ecore was fairly new.

I think 7 years ago there was a report of an Amsoil collapsing, thick oil in a Canadian winter.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Originally Posted By: labman
Could we have some details? Is this like the Ecore that collapsed in the crate engine with the blocked off bypass? No friend of Fram here, but try to be objective.

I've been looking for that thread for weeks.

32.gif

OK....back on topic.

Seriously took me under a minute to find it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=353523&page=2

Originally Posted By: widman
New oil and a P550008 filter killed the noise.

Is the collapsed part clearly visible or are we waiting for more pictures? Was the noise continuous with corroborating evidence from an oil pressure gauge or was it the usual start up rattle that many filter brands and Fram cause because the ADV is not even good enough to last a standard OCI? Too much of that "folding" going on.

Your engine has a strong opinion about Fram. Now who should I trust, your engine or the Fram apologists?

My opinion is that the filter, that you see folded over itself, caused the shavings.

It at least caused the noise, since it went away with the new oil and filter. No, this wasn't sludge like the other picture, you see it as had drained on the screen for a couple of days. It would have been interesting to collect and analyze all of the oil that drained out, but we are really not set up for that.

I'm not sure it is fair to say all the pics I post are junk. If you look at the page of filters, you will see excellent Donaldson, Chrysler, some decent Mann, etc.

I'd say that a few of the filters images you post are those of neglected engines. While not a direct indictment of the filter, how the filter responded to neglect is something to note. OTOH, some of your images, iirc, are of filters subjected to unremarkable lengths of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back