Cooper recalls some Discoverer tires NHTSA link

Status
Not open for further replies.
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 10T003
Synopsis:
Cooper Tire is recalling certain Discoverer H/T and Discoverer LSX tires, size 245/70R17, produced between November 15 and December 12, 2009. These tires fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." At various mileages, the subject tires may develop and exhibit tread chunking or cracking in the tread shoulder area. Tread chunks may separate from the tire casing resulting in body damage to the vehicle or the driver may lose control resulting in a crash. Cooper Tire will notify owners and replace the tires free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2010. Owners may contact Cooper Tire Customer Relations toll-free at 1-800-854-6288.
For more information for this particular recall, please go to 10T003

I'm running Cooper Discoverer H/T's on my truck, but they're from c. '03/'04. Kinda funny though, we originally bought these for my my wife's Ford Explorer that had bad Firestones on it! When we sold the Explorer, I put the Coopers on my truck. They've been good tires though, no complaints. We also use Cooper Cobras on her PT.

That is one fast recall. To find you have a problem and get the government to react in two months is incredible. This certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a Cooper tire.

Cooper knew that they screwed something up in the manufacturing process.

Those tires haven't been on the road long enough to spur a customer based recall, from "real world" failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back