Snow chains revisited-Something different

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

A few years ago, I had gone to Big Bear (Ski area NE of Los Angeles). Brought my snow chains, which were needed. While there, I noticed this motorist putting these “Spike-spiders” on instead of snow chains. They are legal and apparently are just as good as chains, but much, much easier to put on than chains/cables. The trick is to get them on correct, which, this motorist was in a hurry and forgot to lock the mechanism that holds it to the wheel and while driving one of the spiders came off (We were behind her), but since we were driving very slow in a blizzard, my friend got out of the passenger seat and picked it up and caught up to the motorist and gave it to her, which she was very grateful for.

Because of the price, unless I lived and worked in an area that had a lot of snow (Going to work, I might put snow chains on 7 times a year), I could not justify the price. However, if you do live in such an area, you might want to consider these.

the trick is getting the mounting plate properly spaced before hand. The "guide" that measures end tells you what pieces to use.

If the mounting plate is too close to the tire sidewall, mounting & dismounting them will be a PITA (I know for the Sport version, not sure about the ones without the chains)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back