Honda 15400-PLM-A01 vs. A02 flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I realize who makes each and that these two filters are similar. My question is, "Is there a difference between these two filters as far as oil flow or volume?"

A01 has 8 small holes orbiting the large threaded hole.
A02 has 10 oblong holes orbiting the large threaded hole.

It would "appear" that the A02 can pass a larger volume of oil vs. the A01.

The Accord had the A02 on it from the factory but I have purchased A01 as it seems to be a better quality filter (filtech) compared to the A02 (honeywell/fram).

I do NOT want to starve the engine if there is a oil flow difference between these nearly identical filters. Filter media my have an infuence on oil flow also. Anyone have the oil flow spec's on these two filters? Search on this site revealed lots of info on these filters but no mention of the all important oil flow.

Thanks for your replies!

Originally Posted By: willix
The media inside the filter is the critical restriction.

+1 ... the media is the bottle neck when compared to the other flow restrictions in a filter assembly. The holes in the base plate and in the center core do not contribute hardly any to the total pressure drop across a filter ... the media is the largest pressure drop contributor.

What I've seen is that there is usually only a +/- 1 PSID between most filters when flowing hot oil. When flowing cold oil it may be a +/- 2 or 3 PSID difference between filters.

Filtering efficiency seems to be the parameter that most people focus on ... seems flow is adequate from most filters for street car use.

If you do some searching you'll find specs for all filters in terms of GPM and the protection in terms microns allowed to flow through the media. Other specs may include dimensions & efficency percentage. I'm no expert but I would stick close to GPM's & microns that the manufacturer has determined.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back