Pennzoil.... Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I here good things about pennzoil and bad things... can anyone give me the low down on it?

I am new to the whole in depth oil and filter scene and would really like opinions on it and also..... Higher Mileage Oil's, are they worth it?

Hootbro, This is a forum where repeat questions will be asked and asked, even by members with several hundred posts. If everyone used the search where most of the answers could be found, this wouldn't be a forum. I really dislike it when people throw that search sentence out all by itself. With just 2-4x the measely effort, you could easily answer the question too. Not to mention a welcome would be great too.

Pennzoil is good oil, some say one of the better non synthetics. Fact is, oil for the most part is oil, generally none perform much better than others.(unless you compare synthetic to regular "dino" oil then you can use it longer, and it will give atleast somewhat better protection) Use what you like, or what you believe your vehicle is doing best with. You could do annual "used oil analysis" to make sure your engine is wearing normally with the oil you have chosen as well.

Welcome to the forums!

quote:

Hootbro, This is a forum where repeat questions will be asked and asked, even by members with several hundred posts. If everyone used the search where most of the answers could be found, this wouldn't be a forum. I really dislike it when people throw that search sentence out all by itself. With just 2-4x the measely effort, you could easily answer the question too. Not to mention a welcome would be great too.

I really do not care what you dislike. Sorry if my original post comes off crass to some but I still stand by it. I have frequent this forum for years but still have a low post count because I have always found 99% of my oil answers by using the search function. His question comes up in many shapes and forms on this forum and if you and other choose to rehash it, so be it. I love BITOG but less than 10% of the technical post IMHO have any new details and the other 90% is just rehashing old news or peoples opinion of it.

Thanks for your opinion of what I should have done. I will file it.......

Hootbro

I forgot to mention that the higher mileage oils might be worth the extra cost. For the most part they are just regular oil with a slightly boosted viscocity and additive pack. It is possible for them to swell seals and "fix" leaks, they can be harder to burn off as well since they are thicker. Best thing to do is just try them out and see if you like them. Castrol HM and Valvoline maxlife(maxlife is the most popular) are more popular than Pennzoil High Mileage as far as I can tell.

Hootbro every forum is exactly as you describe it, as far as repeat questions and discussion with the same technicals 90% of the time. I just don't see it changing. I understand your point, but new members come on here and ask and I just don't see "use the search" as the most curtious way to help. You could link a thread, in fact I see that as the one of the best ways not to have to explain yourself over and over. And the threads as you know aren't hard to come by, lol.
grin.gif

My apologies for bashing you somewhat.
wink.gif

[ February 26, 2006, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Schism ]

All i use in my car at the moment is Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 or Castrol GTX Higher Mileage. I have been using 1 of these 2 oil's for the last 2 years now and i use quaker state filters sold at canadian tire, i heard these were made by purolator so i continue to use them.

I know the engine in the car (2.3L 1993 tempo) runs smoother and quieter with a higher mileage oil and the leaks it does have.... have slowed down quite a bit.

I am an auto technician in training, I am a block 1 apprentice.

If the high mileage oils do that for you, keep using them. You could try the pennzoil high mileage out too, but I don't think it is quite as thick. I'll have to look at it on the "oil technical data" thread(top of this forum) again to find out.

Hmm I guess it is the maxlife that isn't quite as thick as the other HM oils. Shouldn't make a big difference either way though.

I plan on using the supertech(tech2000) HM oil in my moms E150, 5qts 10w40 for $6.48 was just too good of a deal.

Actually Pennzoil conventional will sludge engines. Just leave a fill in the sump for 50,000 miles if ya' don't believe it.
wink.gif

(Sorry, it's way too early in the morning...)

Oil doesn't cause sludge, engines cause sludge.
That's an accurate statement when talking of modern name-brand oil. Pennzoil is fine. In fact, I just bought 6 quarts of their Platinum for 2.08 after rebate...too good of a price to let get by.

Search, search, search, search, search, search! Did I mention trying the search function? Pennzoil one of the best dino oils. I've been using it since I started driving 20 years ago.

kool_zx3,

Good luck with an exciting career! Try not to get too seduced by Snap-on; although with me, it's an endless struggle to the addiction.
grin.gif

[ February 26, 2006, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: GoldenRod ]

There are no bad modern oils. There are some oils that will offer good protection inside the engine longer.

Pennzoil is one of the best, both their conventional and their new Platinum synthetic. Shell markets four oil brands, and I think Pennz is their top brand.

Ken

Heres one for pennzoil lovers.

Recently TooSlick asked me to research suitable oils for an old Navy J34 jet engine.

In that search for OEM qualified oils I found a guy running a demonstration dragster with a J34 as the the power plant.

He runs Pennzoil 10w30 ! Yep, yellow bottle stuff. He lights the thing off and it runs a max of 5 minutes at a time usually but it is amazing that this is his choice of oils. No need to change the oil says Jim, because it consumes all gallon and a half in a run!!

Jim if you check in here please add any extra info on this , BITOG'ers love this stuff.

For more info and thanks to Jim for allowing me to post this see www.racersandsponsors.com

Terry

1)Pennzoil is a good choice. The only thing I do not like is the "yellow" bottle, which causes a nausea effect on me *lol*

2)However, IMO Chevron Supreme is in fact superior. The more I research that oil here the more it impresses me. Underdogs often out do the competition since there faced with megolith companies like Shell, ExxonMobil etc. In some cases Chevron Supreme has out performed Mobil 1 on UOA's here. Others add Lube Control & AutoRX to further the performance to good result. That is troubling for Syn users like me
smile.gif

Pennzoil's "PureBase" and Chevron's "ISOSYN" are GroupII+ base oils. MaxLife is great too, as you are getting a PAO Syn blend at a bargain price. I wonder why Maxlife does not upsell the Syn blend aspect?

Pennzoil is a very good oil. So is Chevron, Havoline, Castrol and a few others. I honestly think trying to make comparisons between the top dinos is splitting hairs. Buy according to price and/or availabity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back