Transmission service on "new" 2000 Buick Century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...need some advice here. I just picked up a 2000 Buick Century Limited with 87k for my sister. The car is an original owner vehicle...middle aged couple from Florida (no rust!). The vehicle has been pretty well maintained (including replacement of the LIM at 72,000 miles)and the engine is quiet as a church mouse...interior is mint and it has new tires. I'm taking it to my mechanic this weekend to have it "gone over" and intend to do a pan drop service for the transmission. From what I'm reading on here, some believe there's little advantage to adding a synthetic fluid for this type of service? I really want to replace the pan filter and limited $$$ preclude a flush AND pan service. My plan was to replace the 7 quarts or so that this will drain with Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF. Is there any advantage to using either of these synthetic ATF fluids over DexIII if I'm not doing a total exchange?

I would use a fluid that meets the specs in the manual.

In a front drive car like this, I would take it to a shop with a fluid exchange machine and let them flush the transmission.

I would also drop the pan, and replace the filter. Have them clean the pan real well also.

Take it to an honest shop with a flush machine. Plan on spending about 100 dollars.

You don't need to use the amsoil or mobil1 in this application.

Recent experience with a 2001 Olds Alero:

I'm relaying my experience because I'm pretty sure these cars have the same transmission. Bought this car which just turned 100Kmiles for my kid (XMAS present). I dropped the pan and changed the filter. As you say, it takes 7qts of fluid. I used Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. I chose that fluid because I use it in my Windstar and the bottle states it can be used in DEX-III applications. RESULT: it changed the shift-characteristics. It takes a tad longer to shift, versus being very quick and precise with the old fluid. Once it warms up, I plan on trying a different fluid....likly a true DEX-III fluid since that was the original fill. Some will say to use DEX-VI, but if you change the fluid every 25kmiles, does it matter? I doubt it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys...think I'll pick up some Dex-VI (probably ST at Wally World) and refill with that after the pan drop and filter replacement. I believe from past experience that it's important to replace the filters on these units...hence the pan drop (also don't know the history of this trans...no indication that it's ever been serviced). The shops around here only use Dex-III in their flush (or "exchange") machines and want a fortune for the service. I think we should be OK with this method...all the input much appreciated.

I have an 02' Century and I run Mobil 1 ATF w/ Lubegard Red.
The A/T shifts beautifully. I like the synthetic because it allows me to go longer between changes. I changed the OE fluid at 36K and then replaced that fluid at 96K (a 60K interval). I now have 114K and plan on changing it again at approx. 160K.
I would probably use 'dino' fluid if the pan had a drain plug but dropping the pan is a PITA so hence I use synthetic.

PS: The Century has a 4T65E. I think the Alero has a 4T40.

pbm...Did you do a flush each time WITHOUT dropping the pan and changing the filter? I intend to add a bottle of Lubegard Red regardless of the fluid I use...been using it in ALL my transmissions (imports and domestics) at service time and never had a trans issue. Regardless of others opinions, I'm convinced it's good stuff.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Thanks, guys...think I'll pick up some Dex-VI (probably ST at Wally World) and refill with that after the pan drop and filter replacement. I believe from past experience that it's important to replace the filters on these units...hence the pan drop (also don't know the history of this trans...no indication that it's ever been serviced). The shops around here only use Dex-III in their flush (or "exchange") machines and want a fortune for the service. I think we should be OK with this method...all the input much appreciated.

Yeah I would go with Dex VI
01.gif
. I don't think I'd bother with the Lubeguard but that's just me.

That's a 4T65E trans in that Century. Very reliable, long lasting units. Any Dex/Merc universal ATF for it. Those Century's sure do ride nice. Quiet and Buick smooth.

Joel

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
pbm...Did you do a flush each time WITHOUT dropping the pan and changing the filter? I intend to add a bottle of Lubegard Red regardless of the fluid I use...been using it in ALL my transmissions (imports and domestics) at service time and never had a trans issue. Regardless of others opinions, I'm convinced it's good stuff.

I've never done a flush. The first time I removed the pan,changed the filter, added a few extra magnets and refilled. I was able to get almost 8 of the 10 quarts out this way. The second time I put a long piece of tubing down the dipstick hole and siphoned out most of the fluid before dropping the pan and cleaning the magnets and replacing the fluid. It was a lot less messy removing the nearly empty pan.

I am also a believer in LG red and have used it in all of my trannies. I have never had a tranny go out,TG. LG red is probably overkill when using full synthetic fluid but I think it is a great addition to Dex III or Honda Z1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back