Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, another tire question.

I was dropping a friend off at the local Ford dealership, as they were done working on his car. While waiting with him, I shot the bull with the service advisor.

He was telling me how many of these tires he sells. And he says for my size (14s), they are pretty much perfect. 80k warranty, a little extra traction (weather included) without the stiff sidewall (he says). Price was around 60 bucks a tire
(which is cheaper than 64 bucks at tires easy).

I haven't had tiger paws since I had my s-10 years ago. Granted, they were a pretty good tire.

Though the second set on my mom's Astro didn't last as long.

I know that they are the bottom feeder line at Michelin, but how would they compare to say, the BFG touring TAs at Sam's?

I have noticed cars with them lately......

I have a set of regular Tiger Paws on my 626. The tread pattern is the same as BF Goodrich Control Plus (I believe is discontinued). I really like them so far, ride nice and road noise is minimal. The set was around 350.00 installed for 15 inch.

I don't know if Tiger Paws are the same as those that came on my 1992 S10, but they were lousy tires back then. Very poor wet traction, almost not drivable until I put like 400 lbs of sand bags in the bed to keep the fishtailing down from a suicidal level.

Maybe the ones today have improved design or materials (?)

I always thought it was the truck until I changed the Tiger Paws with Dunlop G/T Qualifiers after the Tiger Paws had dry-rotted in 10 years (truck is not garaged). Huge improvement, and no sand needed now.

I'm about ready for another set, even though plenty of tread is left. About the only choice left in a 14 inch wheel in the size I want, 225/70 are the classic BF Goodrich Radial T/A (white letters a must for me!), or the Road Hugger

BTW, my spare is still an original 1992 Tiger Paw, looks good since its more protected under the bed, and never used.
14 inch tires

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
I have a set of regular Tiger Paws on my 626. The tread pattern is the same as BF Goodrich Control Plus (I believe is discontinued). I really like them so far, ride nice and road noise is minimal. The set was around 350.00 installed for 15 inch.

How are they againist potholes?

Originally Posted By: KilgoreBass
I don't know if Tiger Paws are the same as those that came on my 1992 S10, but they were lousy tires back then. Very poor wet traction, almost not drivable until I put like 400 lbs of sand bags in the bed to keep the fishtailing down from a suicidal level.

Maybe the ones today have improved design or materials (?)

I always thought it was the truck until I changed the Tiger Paws with Dunlop G/T Qualifiers after the Tiger Paws had dry-rotted in 10 years (truck is not garaged). Huge improvement, and no sand needed now.

I'm about ready for another set, even though plenty of tread is left. About the only choice left in a 14 inch wheel in the size I want, 225/70 are the classic BF Goodrich Radial T/A (white letters a must for me!), or the Road Hugger

BTW, my spare is still an original 1992 Tiger Paw, looks good since its more protected under the bed, and never used.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize.do?r=TDTINT|pc|75077&cs=225&ar=70&rd=14

Must have been back then. My old 2000 s 10 came with TPs, and I had no issues at all with them....

I miss the Road huggers though...

Originally Posted By: moklock
Had those on a Saturn SL2 a few years back. They were very good tires IMO.

Long lasting?

I've had Tiger Paws on a GMC Sonoma, a Chevrolet Astro, and a Chevrolet Tracker. I can't comment on wear because every set was replaced far before they were worn out. The Sonoma's were swapped out before 20,000 miles.

Poor wet traction and non-existant traction or stability in snow, slush, or ice were the deciding factors. The tires on the Tracker would also squeal like a stuck pig in slow parking-lot turns.

This is one of the worst tires I've ever had the bad luck to own... and I ended up with three sets! It ranks right up there with the Bridgestone RE92.

I hated the Tiger Paws that came on my 1968 Chevelle. Last bias ply tires I ever had. I took a chance on a set about 10 years ago and was pleased. Of course, I didn't get coerced into speed rated tires that time. They rode well, and had decent traction on both wet and dry. With all my stop and go use of my truck, I never get long wear. Of course, I seldom drive near the limits on dry roads. I would have bought more, but they were no longer available locally.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I had Tiger Paws on my new '65 Pontiac. I think they may have been Dominion Royals here in Canada at that time.

Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back