Used toro 2450 snowblower, model 38413

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased one of these used off a neighbor.. shes about 70 and has done nothing to it since new (8 yrs)

She ran it dry every year and stored it in the basement.

What kind of maintenance should I be doing?

Seems like I should get a spark plug

the scraper and paddles seem to be ok.

anything else?

Last edited:
You might need a new spark plug. You also probably want to run some sort of solvent through with the next tank of gas, like stabil or even a seafoam/mmo/techron treatment.

Other than those things and the scraper/paddles these things run seemingly forever.

They tend to start trowing snow forward out of the auger housing when the rubber auger paddles wear down. You will notice it digging or dragging against the ground if the plastic shave plate is worn too low. Other than that, if it starts and runs well you're good to go with the engine. These units also use a flat serpentine style belt with spring loaded tensioners, that stuff can go too.

Joel

thanks for the advice..

any recommendations for a sparkplug it takes a

NGK BPMR4A

which doesnt seem to be exactly the same as anything else.

It seems a similar replacement is Champion RCJ8Y

but that plug doesnt cross reference to this one.

I will probably get the autolite equiv to the Champion RCJ8Y
as they are available all over.

I would buy an NGK but cant seem to find anyone local that carries them?

Sourcing NGKs is hit/miss in my area too. I'd just run that Champion in it. Better yet, if it runs well, leave what you've got in there for now.

Joel

It's a 2-stroke.

co_sn_38515_s_l_xl.jpg

Joel

thats the new model.. mine is the all metal one.. except chute.

pretty much the same though

I would just start using it and fix things as needed. Odds are you wont have any issues. Spark plugs are the most over replaced things on a small engine. Let it go for now. Many times a good cleaning of the plug will do. The tine style on that blower is not the most efficient, so learn how to use the wind to your advantage. When it is dry, spray silicone in the chute. It makes a huge difference on single stage blowers with a plastic chute.

BTW: If you do have to change the belt, take a paint pen and write the belt number on the inside of the cover for easy future reference.

Rand,

A Champion RCJ8Y should be ok. A Bosch WS8F or an autolite 2976 is also a close match too.

Any briggs and stratton dealer should have the right plug when you decide to replace it. Its a two stroke, the wrong plug might cause some issues, too hot a heat range could burn a hole in the piston.

-James

Well all 4 federated auto parts by me were out of the rcj8y

I bought one Cj8y (non resistor?)

and then an autolite (not sure what model it was cross referenced)

the autolite had a screw on tip-- where the plug wire goes..

The champion looked all steel? aluminum?

I pulled the old plug out it was definitely 8-10 years old.
didnt look too bad.

I replaced it with the autolite and it seems to be running fine.

I think I'll snag a set of rubber paddles, a scraper bar, and a belt. Since they are all orginal and its a 2000 or 2001 model.

no fresh snow to try it out on but the really heavy snow/ice blew out decent when I went slow into the mound.

I would have liked a 2stage.. but getting this one in mint condition for 1/3 the orginal cost (1/4 a new one) seemed a pretty good deal.

Also I have a 2 car garage with 2 decent sized cars in it.. It has to fit in the garage during winter.

only thing I noticed wrong with it.. the plastic/metal top shield that goes over the exhaust seems to vibrate excessively.

Also one of the handle bolts was replaced with a nut and its boogered up from vice grips.

overall seems like a decent deal for someone not afraid to deal with small issues that might pop up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
..only thing I noticed wrong with it.. the plastic/metal top shield that goes over the exhaust seems to vibrate excessively.

I thought yours was ALL metal??
27.gif
(which I've never seen BTW, even on a 25yr/old Toro single stage ) Seriously though, I've got a mid 1990's Toro CCR2000 with the same muffler guard, that vibrates the same way. It's still firmly attached. These are great, hard working little machines.

Joel

Its not all metal.. I meant it has more metal than the new ones.
which seem to use more molded plastic. around the front

thats good to know about the paddles..

I noticed they are worn about 3/8" but the scraper bar is also..

So I figured they wear in harmony and I dont need to replace either until the scraper bar is down to the min thickness.

I still might replace them this summer.. depending on what kind of parts deal I can find.

30-40$ would prob sell me on replacing everything

I was irritated though. I went into sears.. and they had a mint used.. started once 2stage craftsman for 390$ off orginal price-- 389$.. sigh

Oh well I'm still happy with this toro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back