Snow Chain Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found cable chains simple and effective for most of us. With the "chain law" often being enforced on mountain passes, they fill the bill. Sure starts on snowpack, etc.

Lift kits on a 4WD required?? Now, I have only gone snowskiing in the mountains each year for the past 38 years, so let me make note:

When roads are closed, they are closed. When open, cars with chains are generally all you need. The ditches are littered with jacked up 4WD's on their roof. Trading stability for ground clearance, while accepting a tippy teetery vehicle has its downside also.

None of my group vacations have been hindered by stuck vehicles. However, both a Blazer and a Bronco on their roofs pretty much ruined the vacations for everyone involved, even those driving other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
The ladder chains are relatively easy to put on if you lay them in back of the tire then drive onto them and hook them up at the 8 o'clock position. Get the rear cable as tight as you can, then hook up the front cable. Drive a couple of hundred feet to seat the chain on the tire, then stop and re tighten the outer cable. They will almost always stay tight after one re tightening. Still not as easy as the Z chain, but not too bad except for having to lay down to get the back cable hooked up.

Even after that, one can use chain tighteners or bungees to secure the cables. The instructions with my cables recommend tighteners as an option. Even if the chains are on tight, I understand they can loosen with use and if there's slack they might come off. Using tighteners is supposed to reduce the chance of them coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back