fuel pump trouble 03 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my fuel pump has bit the dust. The car sits a lot especially in the winter. Anyway, I went to start it and it started up but started sputtering after a minute or two. Then it quit. I turned off the key and when I turned it back on I could not hear the pump whine. I checked the inertia switch and it was ok.

Either the pump has gone bad or its not getting power. I think its gone bad. I have had them fail before on other cars that sit around too much. This is my fault no doubt.

How hard is it to change one of these and what brand pump should I get. Ford is going to want a fortune for one I am sure. The car is stock and it will stay that way. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Changing the pump isn't that hard. I've done a few in my friends mustangs on mod days. As far as what pump to get.... Don't cheap out. Get an OEM pump.

Before you do this though, have someone cycle the key while you get up under the gas tank. When the car has sat for a while the pump will be dry and you can hear it cycle to prime the system. However, once the have fuel in them some can be very quiet, even if they're on the way out. So get up under there and make sure it's not cycling.

to double check, either check fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail, or just hit the fuel tank with a hammer a few times. This might unjam the pump.

btw when you drop the tank to get to the pump, you might damage the grommet for the fuel filler neck. we usually sell one with each pump on the mustangs of that vintage. i wanna say the part number is 2r3z-9072-aa for that year off the top of my head.

The Fords like the wiggle test. I dont know where the relay is for that year but the older ones it was right on the rt. frt. fender. Wiggle that connection for sure. Connections seem to be the problem many times. Thyere is the fuel shut off safety switch that may need reseting. that will sometimes shut down from just jacking the car up or slamming the trunk. Other defects can shut down the fuel. Pumps go bad.

Could it be an idea to use some MMO in your gas, if you know your car is going to sit a while, without being started?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Can you get to your pump from under the rear seat?
Remember, you kept the car type a secret, for some reason.

he said 2003 mustang, on all of those regardless of Cobra, Mach 1, GT, or V6 you drop the tank to get to the pump on those body styles.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Can you get to your pump from under the rear seat?
Remember, you kept the car type a secret, for some reason.

he said 2003 mustang, on all of those regardless of Cobra, Mach 1, GT, or V6 you drop the tank to get to the pump on those body styles.

Ditto on that.

More than once I've contemplated cutting an access hole in my trunk

Dropping the tank is the better way. I have cut the floor pan on a winter beater Taurus once and it saved a lot of labor. You compromise the structure of the unibody some. I was lucky I didn't cut a plastic fuel line it was close. The repair took about 1/2 hr. I later cut out a larger floor pan piece out of a junker that covered the access I cut and screwed it down and gooped it. I was able to do it on the side of the road were it quit. It was -10F. Of coures I just filled the tank.

I have checked everything. I think the pump is bad. No whine when I turn thekey on. Its dead.

Now, I dont use the car daily. What abbout a replacement pump? Should I take it up the [censored] from ford or should I go aftermarket? I need suggestions and opinions.

Thanks.

Some here have suggested or recommended dealer parts only. I will say that I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my Dodge Dakota (I realize it's a completely different vehicle from your Mustang) and I bought an Airtex brand pump from Advance. It looks and fits the tank exactly the same as the OE pump and I have not had any trouble from it at all. I had a coupon that saved me 20% on it too, so instead of costing $225.00 it was about $180.00. Advance has the same coupons on the back page of the sales circular they mailed out for this month too. If you don't have one maybe a buddy does.

I had to drop the tank out to replace my fuel pump. It was not easy but it was not that hard either. I would not pay the dealer price for a new pump, especially if you don't drive the car that much. Just my .02.

The ford pumps can be bought as a pumpmotor unit & filter sock. Its not nessesary to buy the whole assy. Its easily disassembled, reassembled. If the sender is ok why replace it. I'm thinking $60 to $75

Last edited:
Having worked on cars for over 30 years ,I have learn my lesson on buying those aftermarket parts. Now if you are planing on selling the car soon, go cheap,but if you are going to keep it,go to Ford, or look up a Ford parts sit on the web , and you can get it at wholesale price. After you go through the trouble of replacing it, you will see why some of us don't and wont skimp on parts.

Quote:
The ford pumps can be bought as a pumpmotor unit & filter sock. Its not nessesary to buy the whole assy. Its easily disassembled, reassembled. If the sender is ok why replace it. I'm thinking $60 to $75

Ditto on that. No need to buy the entire unit. Just get a new pump & filter sock.

Quote:
Having worked on cars for over 30 years ,I have learn my lesson on buying those aftermarket parts. Now if you are planing on selling the car soon, go cheap,but if you are going to keep it,go to Ford, or look up a Ford parts sit on the web , and you can get it at wholesale price. After you go through the trouble of replacing it, you will see why some of us don't and wont skimp on parts.

I'll also add that the complexity of replacing the part is something I also put into the equation. If it's an wasily replaceable part I might give the non OEM shot. If it's kind of a pain to replace, like the fuel pump, then I go OEM or bump up to a racing part every time

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix

just a heads up, on these mustangs from Ford they are only a 9h307 pump and sender assembly, older ones the 9350 pump was available separate. you can get the sender separate however, but the pump only comes with the assembly

and for all the hassle of dropping the tank, i would only replace the whole assembly. unless the OP has a lift at his disposal, then by all means do half the job.

The pump motors I installed worked just fine and were "Carter" branded. I most cases the Ford part is of seemingly better quality and I can agree with that. Its certainly not the rule. If you do the research in many cases the aftermarket IS the actual OEM part or better at non-dealer prices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back