Honda 5W20 vs PenzoilYB vs Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these oils compare? My winter driving is three days a week, mostly all short city trips, in a 2007 Accord V6. In total, I drive 12000km per year, but this may increase now that I have a vehicle I like. Though my wife would disagree, my racing days are over and I drive fairly slowly, seldom using wide open throttle. This car was purchased recently at 75,000km with a sporadic maintenance history, and I have just changed to Honda 5W20 and a Honda filter, and plan to do a few changes over the next few months.

From my reading here, I have learned that condensation will be my biggest problem, that I will need to change the oil frequently , and that “any quality dino oil will do”. Your thoughts on these three oils would be appreciated. I have read about Honda 0W20, and maybe I should use this? ( I am old school, and zeros should not be part of an oil rating!)

Summer adds about three hours per week of highway driving, and I am wondering about the benefits of synthetics to avoid any sludge/varnish/etc due to higher temperatures. All the promises of cleaning my engine make me nervous because I can't control where the “dirt” goes, and which “dirt”gets removed.
As far as I know, things are fine now. I just don't want any more deposits. If synthetic is better for this,
I would prefer to use it year round.

Thanks for reading.

Well it really depends on your driving style. I dont mean, hard throttle use, just trip length and conditions.

If you do a lot of short trips or stop and go driving, it will effect the oil.

The Honda oil is legitametly a solid performer. Its only downside is that, you cant find deals on it.

If I were you, driving on 12k a year, I'd run either a less expensive synthetic 5w20 every 6 months/ 6 K, or a top of the line synthetic for 12 months and the full 12K. Synthetics in most parts in Ontario are generally a good idea. I'm in Peterborough, and its been COLD the past few weeks.

As for deposits, you shouldn't have problems with ANY oil and Oil changes adjusted accordingly. Also, condensation is mainly due to short trips with no extended time at full operating temps. As long as you work in a nice run up to temp on the highway a few times a week, you should be fine.

Ive forgotten about the accords oil change intervals. Doesnt the factory allow for something like 15K changes?

I would suggest, Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol Syntec for 6 month changes, or Amsoil 0w20/ Mobil 1 EP 5w20 etc... for 12 month use.

Just my 2 cents, dino changed regularily would work great as well!

Those newer Accords are quite nice BTW. Very smooth and refined.

Last edited:
Castrol GTX ,3,000 with severe, 5,000 with normal HWY and CITY mixed.
34.gif

in canada i would go with the very excellent Honda 0w20 for a year at a time. first change i might go 8 months. the 0w will help in the winter and this oil can take it.

Not sure who makes Honda 5W-20 in Canada, but down here it is Mobil. Any of the three you mentioned would do you a good job for 5,000 mile oil changes. And just to keep it correct, there are two "n's" in Pennzoil.

First thing: change your ATF!
As for the engine oil, follow your oil life monitor and change it around 15-20%! My pick would be the following order: Honda 5W-20 then YB then GTX!
My mom 07 accord V6 is running on Motomaster F1 dino (somewhat similar to formula shell)! So far so smooth, previous fill was motomaster F1 syn!

GTX is a really great oil that turns in consistently great UOA's. I'd go with it. But PYB oil is actually very good too. I don't think you will have any problems with any of them to be honest. I've had a lot of experience with GTX though and it has always performed exceptionally.

Last edited:
if your OCI is short, it doesn't matter what you use
if you want to extend, go with the Honda 0w20

the 0w20 may sound weird but keep in mind that the only 0w oils there are out there are "fully synthetic" which should make up for any misgivings about the 0w rating

besides, the winter rating should be as low as possible

cheetahdriver and sangyup81 are correct Honda's 0W-20 is by far your best Honda oil choice; it's a superb oil.
It's made in the States.
The 5W-20 Honda oils, both dino and synthetic are made by Petro-Canada, unfortunately PC doesn't meet Honda's requirements in a 0W-20 grade.

IIRC Honda's 0W-20 costs about $7.16/L and you maybe able to negotiate a cheaper price on a case of 12.
If that's a bit too dear for you, Toyota's version of the same oil is cheaper here in Canada at $5.65/L. If anything it's spec's are even better.

As much as I like Penn YB, I don't use it in my Accord. I would stick to Honda 0w20 or a different synthetic (PP, M1, etc.)

I have an 07 3.0L Accord and run the vehicle spec'd 5w20. I'd run whatever oil is the least expensive of the three and stick with 5w20. I certainly wouldn't pay more for the Honda (Mobil here) over any of the other two. Nor, would I pay the premium price for any of the 0wXX oils, 5w20 will serve you just fine.

I am currently running 5W20 QS Horse Power/UD Syn, to 5-10% of the OLM or 1 year whichever comes first. Previous to this though I ran Honda dealer dino as the the dealer did the changes early in the warranty. Hondas are fairly easy on oil and dino will work fine. Synthetic might give you an added comfort level to extend to 5-10% OLM or 1 year, but again, not a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back