What oil does Nissan use at its dealerships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Titan and they've given me the first 5 oil changes for free.

This is primarily a Ford Dealer(one of the largest in the country) that also is a Nissan Dealer out of the same building.

So...Any idea oil Nissan uses at its dealerships?

Probably varies among dealers. Probably any bulk API SM oil. Unless Titans are now getting the ester oil. lol (It's not really ester)

Probably a combination of what Zedhed and Troy_built said.

The Infiniti dealer near my office uses Pennzoil gear oil in the differentials.

IN my short life span of 63 years on the planet, what we the customer perceive as good maintenance and great oils and engines are not necessarily those of a dealerships where all they want is the bottom line to look good..B and A ( brake and alignment) and repairs is it, move em in and move em out. Look on their faces for the I care attitude, their voice reflections, and look how fast they run to a computer terminal to be busy looking, yep customer service can be a trying experience, will that's one point of view..........

Dealer Oil changes? - they put in your truck what they took outta the guys truck that just came in before you. Maybe strained through a cheesecloth if you're lucky
wink.gif
That new titan run 5w-30 or the 5w-20? If the 20 you'll prob get MCSB or whatever they can get for under a buck a litre. Dealers near me use Exxon/Mobil drive clean.

For a lot of their cars, they will probably use API SM bulk oil. This doesn't necessarily mean no-name or poor quality oil, though.

They may use Nissan's "Ester Oil" for some cars.

The GT-R takes Mobil 1 0w-40.

I second the advice to call them and ask. It will probably vary by dealership. If there's a Ford dealership under the same roof, they may even use Motorcraft oil, which is good stuff. Only one way to find out.

Originally Posted By: buster
Probably varies among dealers. Probably any bulk API SM oil. Unless Titans are now getting the ester oil. lol (It's not really ester)

What not really ester?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
What not really ester?

Nissan calls it "Ester Oil" because its party piece is a certain additive that happens to be an ester. Since the ester is an additive, there's only a little bit of it in there, even though it might be the most important part of the oil.

That may be confusing because Red Line, Motul, RLI, etc. all advertise "ester based" oils, which use ester base stocks. That means they have a lot more ester content. That's why we say Nissan's oil is "not really ester."

The dealer here uses Valvoline. Speaking from experience, the Titan loves the Mobil 1 5w30 Truck/SUV forumla or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I suggest the Mobil 1 M1-110 filter since they are so small.

Check out the UOA's for my Titan and Mobil 1. Also check out www.titantalk.com for any Titan specific information. It's a great truck!

Originally Posted By: coachditka
The dealer here uses Valvoline. Speaking from experience, the Titan loves the Mobil 1 5w30 Truck/SUV forumla or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I suggest the Mobil 1 M1-110 filter since they are so small.

Check out the UOA's for my Titan and Mobil 1. Also check out www.titantalk.com for any Titan specific information. It's a great truck!

I'm not sure where the filter is on a titan, but i was reading on a frontier forum and i think there is a larger wix filter that you can cross reference by thread pitch and filter dia

Originally Posted By: matt922
Originally Posted By: coachditka

I'm not sure where the filter is on a titan, but i was reading on a frontier forum and i think there is a larger wix filter that you can cross reference by thread pitch and filter dia

Cool. I will check that out. I used to have a Frontier (totally bulletproof truck) and when I got my Titan, I was surprised to find it used the same filter, but held twice as much oil.

Around here the Toyota and Nissan dealers use GTX. One dealership was using 10w30 bulk GTX in everything. I don't know if that is still the case.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
What not really ester?

Nissan calls it "Ester Oil" because its party piece is a certain additive that happens to be an ester. Since the ester is an additive, there's only a little bit of it in there, even though it might be the most important part of the oil.

That may be confusing because Red Line, Motul, RLI, etc. all advertise "ester based" oils, which use ester base stocks. That means they have a lot more ester content. That's why we say Nissan's oil is "not really ester."
Do you have the MSDS on the nissan ester oil that shows %, or is it all a guess? I would say RL base is no more than 20% POE speculating.

One of the local Nissan dealerships in San Antonio recently switched from Quaker State to a 5w-30 synthetic blend from Trop Artic (Phillips 66). Anyone have experience with this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back