Post Hole Diggers Made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview Article

Seymour Traditional PHD

Peavey Traditional & Split Handle PDH These are more expensive but is that solely due to lower volume or better construction?

Anyone ever use the split handle PHD? Are they better or should I stick with the traditional?

Is it better to have riveted or bolted?
I'm thinking that 6' hardwood handles will be about right as 6' handles would put the PHD over my head initially but as the hole is dug it would be closer to eye level.
Seymour DG-100 says it uses #2 hardwood handles. What does this mean & is it the de facto standard?

Any other made in USA post hole diggers?

Thanks.

Up here in No. Indiana the Amish have started to pound the wooden fence posts into the ground. I didn't think it ccould be done with a 5 or 6 inch wood fence post, but they do it. And they don't even sharpen or point the end.

your best bet would be the twist type. i bought the twist type to install a fence due to the fact if you run into a possible tree root problem its alot easier to deal with it with the twist/auger style than the others. Also, on the all steel model the only wood part is the wood handle "T" part, which if it breaks is easily replaced. Ihave the same twist type and its very solid and very heavy duty. hope that helps and good luck with the fence.

For wooden fence posts my neighbor used special metal spikes. He just drove them into the ground, and the top has a carrier for the 4x4 post. Not sure who makes them.

Just buy or rent a gas powered one. Keep an eye craigslist or even one from harbor freight would be better than a scoop type. Though the scoop type digger is good for cleaning out the bottom of the hole.

I have the cheaper wooden handle home depot one. Works fine for me, but I'm not putting in a fence so take that with a grain of salt.

my FIL would tell you to toughen up and just use a 6ft crowbar.

but seriously, i'd use a driver to drive steel star pickets. unless you're trying to keep a mad bull in, i can think of better things to do with my time.

What type of soil do you have? We have glacial till which is mostly clay mixed with various sizes of rocks, gravel to VW sized(fortunately rare!)
Anyways I have a garant grizzly long handled shovel that has done a few dozen 3.5' fence post holes. Its forged and heavy and has steps on it so you can stand on the blade while working the handle to cut into hard clay. I make a bigger hole but I always find there is a bowling ball at 2 or 3 feet anyways so you have to get it out somehow.
If your soil can use a traditional digger I get a wooden handled bolt together one as you can replace the broken handle easier yourself.
Garant is Canadian and their grizzly line has a lifetime warranty, we have a pitch fork as well and both are truly lifetime tools.
Also I guess you'll need a tamping bar, with a bit of water you can get a post set like a tree, even with a larger hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back