Brad Penn Oil in a 383 - Do you have to preheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Brother is looking at running the Brad Penn oil in his 383 when he gets it rebuilt. I thought I had read some where a while back where it had to be pre-heated.

I dont know if I had just misunderstood or not.

Does anyone here run Brad Penn oil? Are there any tricks to using it in a street car?

He is going to be running it in a '70 Plymouth Baracuda with a 383/727 and 3.91s. Mostly driven on the street, I am going to see if I can get him to take it to the track the next time I get my Duster up there.

I can't see any reason to preheat unless you are running a 40wt or 50wt monograde oil in cold weather.

That said, is there a specific reason he is planning on running Brad Penn? What does the engine builder recommend?

Brad-Penn is an excellent oil. The 10W-30 or 10W-40 should work well in that engine. No need to 'preheat' it!

The only engine we ever preheated the oil for was a 750 HP 350 CID SBC (Can Am) motor (lola T70), Also many of the pre WWII F1 motors require the oil to be drained, heated to 212dF and then inserted back into the motor before being cranked over.

So, unless this is something like a prostock motor or F2/F1 motor, I would say don't bother.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
The only engine we ever preheated the oil for was a 750 HP 350 CID SBC (Can Am) motor (lola T70), Also many of the pre WWII F1 motors require the oil to be drained, heated to 212dF and then inserted back into the motor before being cranked over.

So, unless this is something like a prostock motor or F2/F1 motor, I would say don't bother.
was that so you could go wot as soon you entered the track? [on the lola]

Which Brad Penn would u use in a 70 Boss 302? Engine has been stroked to a 331 and is putting out around 460 HP. It will mainly be used on the street. Brad Penn 10W40? The engine builder is saying to use a 15W50 but is'nt that just to heavy for street use?

Did not mean to high jack this thead but thought it is similar to what I was thinking.

What are the clearances? trust the builder as he probably knows more than most anybody here. What is the hot oil pressure at WOT?. Nice engine by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back