truth-5W-20 better mileage thyan 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Yesterday, my shop finally changed my oil in my 2005 Hyundai
Elantra with Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30. I believe all my
other oil changes they were using 5W-20, Quaker State dino.

Will I really see any decrease in my gas mileage with
the 5W-30?
Thanks

The only concrete data I have ever seen is the original Ford tsb back-specing some of their vehicles to it.

Per them, a .6 mpg difference across their fleet with 5-20 over 5-30.

You probably won't see a .6mpg difference unless you're real good with keeping up spreadsheets.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a huge surprise if you saw a small decrease, but I would think it would likely be negligible.
Theoretically, in the winter you shouldn't see much of a difference.

Thanks..
But will 5W-30 provide better protection than 5W-20 over the
life of the engine? Ive read some folks feel 5W-20 is too thin
and will never use it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
.1 or.2 mpg according to Ford papers.

From Motorcraft to Motorcraft, I'm presuming?
Could be more of a difference between brands...

Originally Posted By: flinter
Thanks..
and will never use it.

Personally, I think this may have to do more with the quality of oil than the difference between 20 weight and 30 weight.
I believe a lot of Euro cars are coming with 5W-20 from the factory now.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
5w-30 to 5w-20 proper oil.

Gotcha.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks..
and will never use it.

Please define "better".

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

I believe a lot of Euro cars are coming with 5W-20 from the factory now.

I'm going to have to disregard this comment of mine.
My apologies.

I see know milage increase from 5-30 to 5-20. Its way to small of a margin to even think it.

I do see a increase from MC blend to redline. The PU I have yielded the same milage on my round trip to Vegas as it did with redline aswell. About 1.5 MPG increase

Just use whichever you want.

If you want to talk about wear, most 5w30s dinos shear down to 5w20 anyways. The 5w20s don't shear as much so the kind of oil in your engine will be more consistent throughout the OCI. Not sure if that really makes a huge difference but that's just one point to consider.

If you're talking about synthetics though, there's little to no practical difference in the 5w30 and 5w20 offerings though you will see the differences in the technical spec sheets if you wanna be an oil nerd about it like most of us in BITOG
happy2.gif

Smaller engines and smaller cars like thinner oils.
You can tell that the response and power is a bit better.
But 5-20 to 5-30 is not a big deal.

I am not sure that the two MC syn blends are the same. I think the 5-20 is a tougher version. After several thousand miles of chewing the 5-30, they may be even more similar.

Thanks..
and will never use it.

"Too thin?" It all depends on the bearing design.

All other things being equal (I know!), a 20W oil will generate a slightly thinner hydrodynamic 'wedge' of oil between bearing surfaces. If the bearings were already close to the limit, you may have problems. Since the potential gas savings are so tiny, many people feel that it's "better to safe than sorry" and chose to run the thicker oil. Doing so won't hurt anything - just look at those crazy Australians! They run Xw40 and even Xw50W in average Hondas, fords, etc. without any ill effects. There's a (US) guy on BITOG who runs M1 15W-50 in everything. His cars love it!

Hi,
Yesterday, my shop finally changed my oil in my 2005 Hyundai
Elantra with Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W-30. I believe all my
other oil changes they were using 5W-20, Quaker State dino.

Will I really see any decrease in my gas mileage with
the 5W-30?
Thanks

flinter,

The decrease would be so little you won't see it on the gas gage. I heard only that you'll see a significant increase by using 0W-20 oil but I can't see using it my truck/car unless the manuel say I can.

Durango

I know of two Honda products designed for 5W20 that save 10% using Amsoil ASM 0W20 vs. Castrol Syntec 5W30. (Acura 3.2L V6, Civic 1.6L D-series.)

I know of one other high mileage 93 Civic designed for 5W30 with 350,000km on the engine saving 5% with ASM 0W20 vs. Castrol 5W30 High Mileage.

Thanks..
Ive read some folks feel 5W-20 is too thin
and will never use it.

Oil can be used as a mood modifier. It has been reported, as you have read, to have an affect on "feelings".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back